Some quotes by Chan today....

Alphadawg7

When addressing the media about the switch to Fitz, he said a couple of telling things I felt that could be an indication of why Fitz over Trent, why him over Brohm, and whether they still see Brohm in their plans.

He was asked if this was for one game or permanent...he answers:

"No, this is a move going forward"...then pauses and says a few um's with this telling next quote: "um...for...however long we go this direction..."

That was a commitment to him followed by a quick back door out...That right there tells me that there that Brohm can and will see the field if Fitz struggles to spark the offense as well. Clearly, they wouldnt go back to Trent if Fitz fails too establish any sort of offensive rhythm based on those comments and the fact they benched him as a permanent move.

He then is asked about what he thinks about Chans starting experience and if he can maybe calm things down a little bit because of it...in Chans answer to this question, he says the following:

"Hopefully with his experience as a starter, he will be able to go in there and it not be too fast for him...he will be able to handle what we are trying to do offensively and see if we can get some momentum."

This statement is probably the reason why Trent was benched and why Fitz is going to start right now and not Brohm. This team has no flow of any kind and we really dont have any kind of established game plan either. He is looking for someone experienced to help establish some sort of offense before he will consider going to someone with no real NFL game experience in Brohm. Throwing Brohm into an offense with literally zero identity would be a tall task for a guy with 1 game under his belt.

All in all, I could be wrong, but his press conference to me says a lot more than the depth chart does. I suspect that they feel it would be a mistake to throw a green young QB into this mess right now and would be setting him up to fail. I honestly dont believe him being 3rd is about his talent/potential in comparison to the other 2, as much as it is about the state of this offense and his lack of experience.

I think there is a strong possibility that Brohm could see the field after the bye week unless Fitz comes out and does well to win us games.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by Alphadawg7

Ok i know Edwards sucks. But so does Fitz. In fact, Gailey/Nix determined this whole offseason/training camp/preseason that Edwards was actually better than Fitz, which is why he was the un-questioned starter going into the season. Now they want to start Fitz? I really think this shows a lack in intelligence by Gailey/Nix. How could they not see this from a mile away? Edwards has sucked for a long time. Fitz is going to suck too. Yet they completely avoiding draft/signing any QB. At least Brohm hasnt proven he sucks (yet). Play Brohm already!

Hmm interesting take, hadnt viewed it that way... Let Fitz fail for 2 weeks as well and then Brohm will be an easy sell to the team kinda strategy...

Not so much that as much as this offense, including the staff, has no identity of any kind other than suck. I think that they want to try and find some rhythm of some kind to build on before they move to Brohm. Not saying it will work, but I think they want more time to try and tinker with personell and packages before they will feel better about giving Brohm a shot back there. I think they are worried about shell shocking the kid too...the thing he initially struggled with was the speed of the game, and right now our whole offense seems to be struggling with that. So better to try and calm down the offense rather than risk Brohms confidence out there right now...

I could be wrong, but a lot of what Chan said plus the fact that they chose to keep him on the active roster when we have so many holes seems to suggest this to me.

Edited by Alphadawg7

"Hopefully with his experience as a starter, he will be able to go in there and it not be too fast for him...he will be able to handle what we are trying to do offensively and see if we can get some momentum."

Funny that Trent has 32 career Starts while Fitz has onl 23 career starts and yet they talk about Fitz's "experience as a starter". Maybe it needs to be qualified as "winning experience as a starter". I'm not critical of the move -- I like the move. I just find it interesting that people think Fitz has all this past starting experience when he really does not.

Funny that Trent has 32 career Starts while Fitz has onl 23 career starts and yet they talk about Fitz's "experience as a starter". Maybe it needs to be qualified as "winning experience as a starter". I'm not critical of the move -- I like the move. I just find it interesting that people think Fitz has all this past starting experience when he really does not.

I think the experience quote had more to do with why he went with Fitz over Brohm, not about Trent

Ok i know Edwards sucks. But so does Fitz. In fact, Gailey/Nix determined this whole offseason/training camp/preseason that Edwards was actually better than Fitz, which is why he was the un-questioned starter going into the season. Now they want to start Fitz? I really think this shows a lack in intelligence by Gailey/Nix. How could they not see this from a mile away? Edwards has sucked for a long time. Fitz is going to suck too. Yet they completely avoiding draft/signing any QB. At least Brohm hasnt proven he sucks (yet). Play Brohm already!

I agree with what you are saying completely, but I think the reason they arent turning to Brohm yet is that they are hoping to try and establish some kind of offense before they throw him out there. This is a new staff and a new system for everyone, and I think they want to try and get the whole team a little more settled before risking Brohm back there...

fitz, if nothing else, can read a blitz and would have hit a wide open parrish on that last third down play on the last possession in the first half. parrish was good for at least the first down and probably much more. no way an fitz misses that. that is the difference between him and TE. he sees defenses and has some balls. he just doesn't always make the throw because he isn't the most accurate guy in the world.

that parrish play, btw, was a real game changer. it looks awful on film. bet that was the clincher for gailey.

fitz, if nothing else, can read a blitz and would have hit a wide open parrish on that last third down play on the last possession in the first half. parrish was good for at least the first down and probably much more. no way an fitz misses that. that is the difference between him and TE. he sees defenses and has some balls. he just doesn't always make the throw because he isn't the most accurate guy in the world.

that parrish play, btw, was a real game changer. it looks awful on film. bet that was the clincher for gailey.

Yes! Thank you for posting this as I had not seen it before. When they did the "behind the play" replay it was so painfully obvious who to throw the ball to. That play alone might have been what gave TE the hook. Instead of going to Parrish for the first, TE checks down to the shorter route. AAAAGGGHH

In the end, I really don't think it matters who we have at QB. All three guys are not NFL starting QB's and our offensive unit doesn't have a solid OL, TE or WR's. That is a disaster in the works for any QB. I am not convinced that manning or brees could lead this team to a 8-8 record this year. This team, this regime, and this organization is in shambles. It is borderline embarrassing. I am here in San Diego and I have made it known to my co workers that I am a proud Bills fan. I can't tell u how embarrassing it has been walking into the office on Monday morning.

In the end, I really don't think it matters who we have at QB. All three guys are not NFL starting QB's and our offensive unit doesn't have a solid OL, TE or WR's. That is a disaster in the works for any QB. I am not convinced that manning or brees could lead this team to a 8-8 record this year. This team, this regime, and this organization is in shambles. It is borderline embarrassing. I am here in San Diego and I have made it known to my co workers that I am a proud Bills fan. I can't tell u how embarrassing it has been walking into the office on Monday morning.

You are right. The bottom line is that this is a team sport and the best teams have the largest numbers of talented players and the Bills are lacking in talent in many areas. That said, that's precisely why we need a QB who can scramble around a bit and make some things happen. Will Fitz take the Bills to the playoffs? Doubtful. Will he generate a few more wins than Trent? My opinion is that he will. He's very mobile and will help SOMEWHAT offset the weak OL, but only somewhat.

I just think that when the bullets fly Edwards is a shot QB.....and the coaching staff is smart enough to admit their mistake and move forward rather then trying to "see if it will work itself out"

When a QB is running straight backwards for his life and losing 20 yards to go along with the fact he wont throw the ball away....its time......and there is no "working itself out"

The reason why Chan is using Fitz over Brohm is this team needs a veteran leader to calm it down with things go to hell.....it doesn't mean that Fitz is the QB we need. That guy is not on this roster

To this day, I don;t know why Jeff Garcia was not signed for exactly this type of situation.

I don't believe that Fitz will add anything. I mean, c'mon...a career backup lighting it up? Not gonna happen.

He may have better decision-making and vision in the game, but he does not have the talent.

We're in for a long season.

We are at rock bottom for this franchise.

Thanks, Modrak. you've really done a fantastic job for the past decade building the youth of this football team. It's loaded...with garbage!

The only thing i can say about Fitzy is he's not afraid to go down field and i think Chan wants or should i say needs that in this offense to get the opposing defenses to back off a bit to give us at least a chance & Trent just doesn't see down field quick enough , he just gun shy !!!

Not so much that as much as this offense, including the staff, has no identity of any kind other than suck. I think that they want to try and find some rhythm of some kind to build on before they move to Brohm. Not saying it will work, but I think they want more time to try and tinker with personell and packages before they will feel better about giving Brohm a shot back there. I think they are worried about shell shocking the kid too...the thing he initially struggled with was the speed of the game, and right now our whole offense seems to be struggling with that. So better to try and calm down the offense rather than risk Brohms confidence out there right now...

I could be wrong, but a lot of what Chan said plus the fact that they chose to keep him on the active roster when we have so many holes seems to suggest this to me.

Because Edwards played well when defenses weren't scheming in the preseason? Because he only played well against teams that played the 4-3 in Indy and Cincy, and once again sucked against the only 3-4 team in Washington?

Fitzpatrick does a better job reading defenses and is mobile so he may be able to escape some of the pressure or at least force the D linemen to be a little fore disciplined in their pass rush lanes. That being said, he's not Peyton Manning or Michael Vick. He has negligible passing game talent to work with. He will look bad just like Edwards, but maybe his QB rating will be between 50 and 70 instead of 30 and 40...

nice optimism, i felt the same way when flutie came in for slob johnson, we were 0-3 and had a "awful" team, then we went to the playoffs, this year theres still time to go, we have a good team, now that the total piece of crap known as trent edwards is gone, you will see how good the team is.

When addressing the media about the switch to Fitz, he said a couple of telling things I felt that could be an indication of why Fitz over Trent, why him over Brohm, and whether they still see Brohm in their plans.

He was asked if this was for one game or permanent...he answers:

"No, this is a move going forward"...then pauses and says a few um's with this telling next quote: "um...for...however long we go this direction..."

That was a commitment to him followed by a quick back door out...That right there tells me that there that Brohm can and will see the field if Fitz struggles to spark the offense as well. Clearly, they wouldnt go back to Trent if Fitz fails too establish any sort of offensive rhythm based on those comments and the fact they benched him as a permanent move.

He then is asked about what he thinks about Chans starting experience and if he can maybe calm things down a little bit because of it...in Chans answer to this question, he says the following:

This statement is probably the reason why Trent was benched and why Fitz is going to start right now and not Brohm. This team has no flow of any kind and we really dont have any kind of established game plan either. He is looking for someone experienced to help establish some sort of offense before he will consider going to someone with no real NFL game experience in Brohm. Throwing Brohm into an offense with literally zero identity would be a tall task for a guy with 1 game under his belt.

All in all, I could be wrong, but his press conference to me says a lot more than the depth chart does. I suspect that they feel it would be a mistake to throw a green young QB into this mess right now and would be setting him up to fail. I honestly dont believe him being 3rd is about his talent/potential in comparison to the other 2, as much as it is about the state of this offense and his lack of experience.

I think there is a strong possibility that Brohm could see the field after the bye week unless Fitz comes out and does well to win us games.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree with you, said the same thing on another thread (good Fitz vs bad Fitz)

Yes! Thank you for posting this as I had not seen it before. When they did the "behind the play" replay it was so painfully obvious who to throw the ball to. That play alone might have been what gave TE the hook. Instead of going to Parrish for the first, TE checks down to the shorter route. AAAAGGGHH

He does that far too often. Trent is just so reluctant to make throws down the field. Chan probably thought he could work it out of him. Under real game pressure Trent's first impulse is to play it safe no matter the down and distance or game situation.

To this day, I don;t know why Jeff Garcia was not signed for exactly this type of situation.

I don't believe that Fitz will add anything. I mean, c'mon...a career backup lighting it up? Not gonna happen.

He may have better decision-making and vision in the game, but he does not have the talent.

We're in for a long season.

We are at rock bottom for this franchise.

Thanks, Modrak. you've really done a fantastic job for the past decade building the youth of this football team. It's loaded...with garbage!

True, Fitz does not have the tools (or talent if you wish) to be a difference maker. Like last year he will be a slight improvement over Trent because he is a better leader and has more football sense. Lee Evans is probably happy for this move.

As for young QBs, I think Levi Brown is the only QB we drafted since Edwards. Not sure Modrak is the culprit for that situation.

I think Fitzpatrick will be successful. He may not have the strongest arm and can't make all the throws, but he has the "it" factor that a qb needs to be successful. He knows how to scramble around and keep a play alive and he's not afraid of the blitz or to throw downfield or into coverage. He gets players around him to play better and is a better leader than Trent. I don't know if we beat the Pats, but there are a lot of games left to play and the season is still not all lost if we can get some kind of offensive pulse. The answer is not on the roster nor is it in the draft. I think this team needs to find a FA or some other teams backup as did Washington with Mcnabb and Seattle did with Whitehurst. I just feel a first round QB without addressing the tackle position with first round talent is a disaster waiting to happen. Of coarse the tackle position could also be remmedied in FA also.