Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

Rolling Stones = not overrated

Vegas Stones = extremely overrated

and don't forget the incredibly lame Blondie Chaplin was a Beach Boy.

So, do you hate the Beach Boys as much as I do. They are, for me, the very essence of overrated. Was watching the TAMI Show DVD the other night, the Beach Boys did the theme song. It is awful, but reflective of how lame they are.

There are plenty of musical lightweights out there, that I will confess to liking a song or two (Nicks era Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, etc), but this notion that the Beach Boys were this amazing group is just beyond me. Brian Wison was a nut-job, so, that becomes known as musical genius?

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, do you hate the Beach Boys as much as I do. They are, for me, the very essence of overrated. Was watching the TAMI Show DVD the other night, the Beach Boys did the theme song. It is awful, but reflective of how lame they are.

Is it sad that I am having a debate in my head right now over whether I'd shoot myself quicker while listening to the Beach Boys or Nickelback? Is that a reflection on how lame the Beach Boys are, or just my own Labor Day weekend?

There are plenty of musical lightweights out there, that I will confess to liking a song or two (Nicks era Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, etc), but this notion that the Beach Boys were this amazing group is just beyond me. Brian Wison was a nut-job, so, that becomes known as musical genius?

I'm not a huge Beach Boys fan. But Brian Wilson's musical genius and influence is beyond question, IMO.

Is it sad that I am having a debate in my head right now over whether I'd shoot myself quicker while listening to the Beach Boys or Nickelback? Is that a reflection on how lame the Beach Boys are, or just my own Labor Day weekend?

Judas Priest is the proper choice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/events/heavy-metal/judas-priest-subliminal-message-suicide-trial/

Edited by BLZFAN4LIFE

I like the Beach Boys hits/singles. I never play them though other than maybe a handful of songs at a time, and I've never seen them live, even though I have had many opportunities to do so. I don't have any Beach Boys boots, and have no desire to ever hear any. To me, they are a relic of the 60's. I do think BW was very talented, but they just can't touch Dylan/Stones/Beatles, not even close. Speaking of the 60's, I really don't get the Monkees / Michael Nesmith love, but I won't slam them cause I used to love the TV show when I was a kid.

Now the Eagles, those clowns are the definition of over-rated... Rumours is classic, just a great, great album.

And, since I already threw his name out there, I would have to say the most overrated is Jimmy Buffett. How he has a whole following of people traveling to see him, I have no idea.......He seems to have hit on one theme - drinking in the tropics, and made a career out of it.

And this is a bad thing how?

nb: JB's music leaves me meh, but that's one thing I've always enjoyed. Drinking in the tropics. Drinking in Buffalo. Drinking in LV. Drinking in Europe.

I love exotic locations!

And this is a bad thing how?

nb: JB's music leaves me meh, but that's one thing I've always enjoyed. Drinking in the tropics. Drinking in Buffalo. Drinking in LV. Drinking in Europe.

I love exotic locations!

You just said it - his music is meh.......You can drink while your listening to great music, but be all you want to hear about.

All bands named after planets, continents, countries, states or cities are highly overrated and totally suck.

Asia.

America.

Kansas.

Boston.

Toronto.

Alabama.

Bay City Rollers.

Black Oak Arkansas.

Europe.

Berlin.

Chicago (don't even start)

Well played.

(Toronto?)

All bands named after planets, continents, countries, states or cities are highly overrated and totally suck.

Asia.

America.

Kansas.

Boston.

Toronto.

Alabama.

Bay City Rollers.

Black Oak Arkansas.

Europe.

Berlin.

Chicago (don't even start)

that's a great list and position. you did forget Chilliwack (British Columbia).

i'm not sure it works with "Buffalo Tom," though the band, i believe, was from Boston.

in the same vein, all band(s) named The Replacements are legendarily good.

jw

Really - Toronto? How can a band nobody has ever heard of be over-rated??

Well, who'd a thunk it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_%28band%29

Excerpt:

Toronto was a Canadian rock band active during the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was formed in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, by guitarist Brian Allen and American-born singer Holly Woods. The band's "classic" lineup featured Woods, Allen, guitarist/backing vocalist Sheron Alton, keyboardist Scott Kreyer, bassist Nick Costello, and drummer Jimmy Fox.

Hits included "Your Daddy Don't Know", "Start Tellin' the Truth", and "Girls' Night Out"

We, since I never hear of em, they aren't overrated, IMO.

Well, who'd a thunk it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_%28band%29

Excerpt:

Hits included "Your Daddy Don't Know", "Start Tellin' the Truth", and "Girls' Night Out"

We, since I never hear of em, they aren't overrated, IMO.

Over-rated? They're not even rated.....

I have one that goes against this theory - Buffalo Springfield!........Also the Delaware Destroyers were pretty good.

And, I kind of like Love Rollercoaster by the Ohio Players

Oh yeah, then why is Black Oak and Arkansas on there?!? :devil:

And, BTW, you left out Atlanta Rhythm Section from the bands that suck!

Oh, the list goes on and on. Manhattan Transfer. Rascal Flats. Cypress Hill.

In fact, I just found this... and true to form, they either totally suck or I have never heard of them and I would still bet anything they totally suck. Except, of course, the E Street Band (although they do not fit my original criterion of planets, continents, countries, states or cities), and The New York Dolls, while I am not a particular fan of their music, I think were highly respected for what they did. So they are the exception that proves the rule.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog