Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage

Went out and bought the DVD yesterday. Best Buy is selling a special edition DVD with a Moving Pictures t-shirt but that puppy was sold out! In fact, I had to call and reserve a copy of the regular DVD, because everything was sold out, even BluRay.

Now on to the movie...

It was really, really cool to see the early stuff, especially with young Alex telling his parents that he didn't want to finish high school cause he wanted to play music. Ha!

The oldschool footage with Rutsey is worth the price of the film itself.

The one thing that was very surprising and that I did not know at all was that the band had a very, very difficult time making Hemispheres. That was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back as they say with regard to the epic, entire side of the album songs. Alex sez that they tried for 11 days to do "La Villa" in one live take! Holy crap!

I did not realize Billy Corrigan was such a well-informed, thoughtful guy. Jack Black is STILL an idiot. I cannot believe that there are actually people out there that try to get all up in Peart's face when they should chance to run into him (especially professional musicians), or actually go and seek him out. It's a WELL known fact that he's not into that at all.

All in all, this video is a must have for all Rush fans...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that was very surprising and that I did not know at all was that the band had a very, very difficult time making Hemispheres. That was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back as they say with regard to the epic, entire side of the album songs. Alex sez that they tried for 11 days to do "La Villa" in one live take! Holy crap!

La Villa was also used as a point of reference for a lot of the musicians' commentary. Basically if you could get that song down and play it with a modest level of proficiency then you could pretty much play anything.

Geddy's take on Hemispheres I thought was interesting as well. They were writing music that was above their ability as musicians at that point in time. This is a hallmark I believe of many great bands, that they are always trying to push the envelope and evolve. This cannot be said of the majority of rock bands that basically put out the same album time and time again for decades.

La Villa was also used as a point of reference for a lot of the musicians' commentary. Basically if you could get that song down and play it with a modest level of proficiency then you could pretty much play anything.

Geddy's take on Hemispheres I thought was interesting as well. They were writing music that was above their ability as musicians at that point in time. This is a hallmark I believe of many great bands, that they are always trying to push the envelope and evolve. This cannot be said of the majority of rock bands that basically put out the same album time and time again for decades.

Yeah, I love how he recalled that the recordings were done and he couldn't sing the parts high enough...

SIDE NOTE: My brothers and I are doing the entire side of 2112 at a club this month. I would love to have the sound effects for the end, "ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION". Any audio wizards out there have ability/access to find that particular effect, sans the music?