Since we can't grade 2010 draft yet, how 'bout 2007?

OK, the general consensus is it takes 3 years until you can properly grade a draft. Here's our 2007 draft class. Have at it.

2007 - Buffalo Bills

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California

2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Penn State

3 92 Trent Edwards QB Stanford

4 111 Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State

6 184 John Wendling DB Wyoming

7 222 Derek Schouman FB Boise State

7 239 C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma

Here's some grades at that time.

Buffalo Bills: This is not necessarily a complaint about the players the Bills drafted because running back Marshawn Lynch is very talented, linebacker Paul Posluszny was considered a first-round talent and quarterback Trent Edwards was highly regarded by many. However, you have to wonder if the Bills did a lot of checking into Lynch's background, given the character issues, before they used a pick this high on him. Even more, Lynch is probably going to like Buffalo's weather as much as former back Willis McGahee. That said, if the Bills get four or five good years out of Lynch, who cares if he likes it there?

Grade: B+

Buffalo B The Bills considered taking Posluszny in the first and wound up with him in the second. Lynch is an automatic starter, replacing Willis McGahee. Edwards is excellent QB insurance for J.P. Losman.

Buffalo Bills ***

USA Today 3 out of 4 stars: RB Marshawn Lynch makes Willis McGahee's departure tolerable. LB Paul Posluszny is a mini-steal with the 34th pick. QB Trent Edwards is a questionable third-round pick, considering Buffalo has multiple defensive needs.

Buffalo (A) - The Bills may still end up between Sucky and Mediocre next season, but the good news is that Marv hasn't forgotten how to build a winner. They're getting younger and faster and they addressed two monster needs (LB and RB) with the No. 2 guys at their respective positions (Posluzny and Lynch).

April grade: B

January grade: C The Bills found three key pieces of the rebuilding process in the 2007 draft – quarterback (Trent Edwards), running back (Marshawn Lynch) and middle linebacker (Paul Posluszny). But Posluszny missed the final 13 games of his rookie season with a broken forearm.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still kinda of incomplete IMO. The bottom half produced nothing though Wendling was a good STer. If Losman didn't fail so bad, Edwards probably would have played in a few games, did well, and had great value as a backup QB or potential trade bait.

Poz basically miss his entire rookie season but really picked up his play the 2nd half of last year. I feel that he is going to really shine as an ILB next to Davis this year.

And as much as we hate Lynch, before this season, he was off to the 2nd best start of any rb in Bills history (he had slightly less yards than Henry) and went to a pro bowl. He still is very young but it sounds like the Bilsl are turning the page on him.

But looking back, it doesn't look that great.

It's still kinda of incomplete IMO. The bottom half produced nothing though Wendling was a good STer. If Losman didn't fail so bad, Edwards probably would have played in a few games, did well, and had great value as a backup QB or potential trade bait.

Poz basically miss his entire rookie season but really picked up his play the 2nd half of last year. I feel that he is going to really shine as an ILB next to Davis this year.

And as much as we hate Lynch, before this season, he was off to the 2nd best start of any rb in Bills history (he had slightly less yards than Henry) and went to a pro bowl. He still is very young but it sounds like the Bilsl are turning the page on him.

But looking back, it doesn't look that great.

Nice idea for a post, HB. Good post above too.

One could say that the bottom half of the draft produced our starting tight end, Derek Schouman.

He was starting to look like a pretty decent player before getting injured last year.

2007 - Buffalo Bills

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California - two 1,000 yard seasons in his first two years. B+

2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Penn State - excellent pick that hasn't stopped getting better A

3 92 Trent Edwards QB Stanford - C still think there might be something there.

4 111 Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State - D

6 184 John Wendling DB Wyoming - was one of the best ST players until he was cut. B-

7 222 Derek Schouman FB Boise State - will be on the Bills roster this year and contribute a lot B

7 239 C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma - F

I'd give it a B-. JMO

Lets check out 2006

1 8 Donte Whitner SS Ohio State - C

1 26 John McCargo DT North Carolina State - F

3 70 Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State - C

4 105 Ko Simpson FS South Carolina - D

5 134 Kyle Williams DT Louisiana State - A

5 143 Brad Butler T Virginia would probably have been at least a B had he stayed until he couldn't play anymore.

6 178 Keith Ellison OLB Oregon State - C

7 216 Terrance Pennington T New Mexico - F

7 248 Aaron Merz G California - F

I'd give it a C-

2 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Miami (Fla.) - B-

3 86 Kevin Everett TE Miami (Fla.) Would have probably ended up at least a B without his injury.

4 122 Duke Preston C Illinois - D-

5 156 Eric King DB Wake Forest - F

6 197 Justin Geisinger G Vanderbilt - F

7 236 Lionel Gates RB Louisville - F

I give it a D- leaving Everett out of it.

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin - the QB troubles are not his fault - A

1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane - F

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State - F His lunchpail F-

4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State - F

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana - F

7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech - F

I'd give it an F+

your point is well taken and shared by most people who understand that the draft is a crapshoot - therefore all the draft grades are just a joke and not based on nfl game playing ability imo - you don't see these same guys come back 3 years later and analyze just how badly they graded teams' draft picks

Egads...

They were so close to getting Patrick Willis...dammit!

CJ Ah You...now there's a name and a half.

Our scouting dept's claim at the time and still is that Poz was higher on their board. No wonder we (still) suck.

People say the verdict is out on Lynch, but i disagree.

Not only did he already lose his job as starting RB, but i highly doubt the Bills saw themselves being the position to draft another top-10 RB 3 years after drafting him. Regardless of if he regains his pro bowl form, the dominoe affect of his mistakes has already set us back quite a bit.

Edwards has to at least be a C+ Maybe even a B-. HE hasn't turned into the franchise QB everybody hoped, but he has played well at times, and for a late 3rd round draft pick, you got a starting QB who has had moments.

Overall, the '04-'06 drafts were an overwhelming "F". And those drafts are the reason we suck today. '07 is not looking great. Wow....I can't believe how bad those drafts turned out to be.

But didn't you know it? I just remember us NOT picking big men for about 5 years. Ouch!

Our scouting dept's claim at the time and still is that Poz was higher on their board. No wonder we (still) suck.

Of course they're going to say that after they drafted Poz.

Ouch it is painful to read that list. Unbless Edwards somehow manages to turn it around this year you would have to rate that draft as an epic failure. Poz is good but not great and sadly by the end of the year he may be the only player left on the roster from this draft.

2 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Miami (Fla.) - B-

3 86 Kevin Everett TE Miami (Fla.) Would have probably ended up at least a B without his injury.

4 122 Duke Preston C Illinois - D-

5 156 Eric King DB Wake Forest - F

6 197 Justin Geisinger G Vanderbilt - F

7 236 Lionel Gates RB Louisville - F

I give it a D- leaving Everett out of it.

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin - the QB troubles are not his fault - A

1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane - F

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State - F His lunchpail F-

4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State - F

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana - F

7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech - F

I'd give it an F+

Wow. Those two drafts set us back years. Thanks TD. :lol:

I honestly don't think the 2007 draft was so bad.

Marshawn's a dufus, but his story's not over yet...could turn into a thunder/lightning flash/bang tandem with Spiller. And like it or not he's made a pro-bowl.

If the bills hit on starters in the first three rounds of every draft we would be a legitimate team, instead of a bunch of mopes, which, let's face it, is what we got.

Not a home run, but not terrible, I think a B is fair