(OT) Question for you "IT" types...

ExWNYer

So I go into the office on Wednesday to file a travel voucher (after being gone for over a week) and find that they've done something to our server. I never had any problems getting to or using TSW...until Wednesday. I can get to the TBD homepage, read the articles, etc. with no problem. However, when I try to go to TSW I get a blocked message. Damn firewalls! :flirt: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Any suggestions or am I just SOL? Thanks.

Do your work and not get fired for surfing the net?

134380[/snapback]

I do my job and well, thanks. I usually get on the board during my lunch break and check back in from time to time during lulls. Thanks for your support. :flirt: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I do my job and well, thanks. I usually get on the board during my lunch break and check back in from time to time during lulls. Thanks for your support.  :flirt:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

134388[/snapback]

Hey, not trying to be an ass. But if they blocked the site they are obviously trying to send a message. Farting around the internet isn't worth getting fired.

Hey, not trying to be an ass. But if they blocked the site they are obviously trying to send a message. Farting around the internet isn't worth getting fired.

134392[/snapback]

It's spelled out that internet usage is permitted on "lunch, breaks or other non-work" periods. I don't abuse it. No matter, I'm usually off early enough where I can check in at home. I'll just miss my lunchtime fix. :flirt:

It's spelled out that internet usage is permitted on "lunch, breaks or other non-work" periods. I don't abuse it. No matter, I'm usually off early enough where I can check in at home. I'll just miss my lunchtime fix.  :doh:

134396[/snapback]

Hope there's no hard feelings re previous communications , ExWNYer...you stepped into the shooting gallery! Plink! Plink!

:flirt:

:flirt::P now thats a security hole :doh:

hope you don't keep anything sensitive on that computer and that you check for suspicious processes regularly

134391[/snapback]

I developed my own live linux server a few years back. The OS is on a CD and runs in memory. Even if someone did an exploit for virtual root and managed to upload some sort of rootkit, a simple reboot of the computer and its gone. But on the safe side, I do write the log files to a backup machine I have.

I developed my own live linux server a few years back.  The OS is on a CD and runs in memory.  Even if someone did an exploit for virtual root and managed to upload some sort of rootkit, a simple reboot of the computer and its gone.  But on the safe side, I do write the log files to a backup machine I have.

134417[/snapback]

ah, cool B) sounds like you actually know what you're doing

most of the folks i know that do pc anywhere, vnc, etc have no idea how wide open they expose their win 9x/2000/xp system

Hope there's no hard feelings re previous communications , ExWNYer...you stepped into the shooting gallery! Plink! Plink!

:flirt:

134402[/snapback]

No hard feelings, cincy...I wouldn't expect any less from this board of smarta$$es. :P:doh: (Do wish I could post on my lunch, though)

I developed my own live linux server a few years back.  The OS is on a CD and runs in memory.  Even if someone did an exploit for virtual root and managed to upload some sort of rootkit, a simple reboot of the computer and its gone.  But on the safe side, I do write the log files to a backup machine I have.

134417[/snapback]

What's to stop them from taking over your Cd-based Linux box and then jump from there to take over your backup server? What OS is the backup server running? What's the IP address, I'll look around :flirt:

CW