John Clayton

bills1960

He was just on WGR, and he said that if it came down to a bidding war for Shannahan against the Redskins, then there's no way for us to get him. Is Dan Synder really willing to pay more than 10 million? (If infact we're willing to pay that much.) I know he's an aggresive owner, but is that really possible?

He was just on WGR, and he said that if it came down to a bidding war for Shannahan against the Redskins, then there's no way for us to get him. Is Dan Synder really willing to pay more than 10 million? (If infact we're willing to pay that much.) I know he's an aggresive owner, but is that really possible?

Money really isn't the issue. The issue is "money, control, and meddling". We as fans don't at all know what Ralph is willing to give up as far as control over pro personnel, the draft, and the team purse strings when it comes to signing FAs. If he is willing to give Shanny control of the team, which I doubt Snyder is, that might be worth a few million a year in salary to a guy like Shanny.

As I said before, if Shanahan wants to be HC, GM, and bring-in Broncos DC Bob Slowik to run a 3-4 (he could barely run a 4-3), much less for $10M/year +/- partial ownership, I say "next!" Shanahan would be a lousy GM, Slowik is a lousy DC and would be even worse running a 3-4, and the money Ralph would give-up would prevent him from getting better players.

And for Snyder, the money is secondary. It's a power trip for him. He'll outbid himself just to get the guy he wants. If that's who Shanahan wants to work for, more power to him.

Not sure you want Shanahan. His catch phrase in Denver was "get me another guy". After they had went out and paid big bucks for a player that now Shanahan did not like. Sounds like he was good at spending money not so great at picking the right guy.

Either way, if Ralph wants to show us he is serious about winning, then he hires a GM. Lets the GM hire a head coach and his heads of scouting.

Keeps Brandon around for marketing. or not, dont really care, a winner markets itself!!!!

Not sure you want Shanahan. His catch phrase in Denver was "get me another guy". After they had went out and paid big bucks for a player that now Shanahan did not like. Sounds like he was good at spending money not so great at picking the right guy.

Either way, if Ralph wants to show us he is serious about winning, then he hires a GM. Lets the GM hire a head coach and his heads of scouting.

Keeps Brandon around for marketing. or not, dont really care, a winner markets itself!!!!

Yes!

I, having accepted the scorn all of the "big" name coaches turning down my beloved Bills, have come to the reality that a real, big name GM is 10x more important that any head coach at this point.

Shanahan was fired in Denver for exactly what this post mentions. At this critical point in the future of the Bills both now and in the long term, is a strong, viable front office headed by football MEN (note: plural) who can lead this franchise back to the promised land.

I don't need bells and whistles. Just get me the second coming of Polian...