Think Gruden's interested in coaching anymore? Not so fast.

Lori

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id...s-deal-with-mnf

Per Pat Yasinskas: "Working with Mike (Tirico), Jaws (Ron Jaworski) and our entire Monday Night Football team is the most fun I have had in years, and I am fired up to make this long-term commitment to ESPN," said Gruden. “Monday Night Football is special and I look forward to remaining a part of it and continuing to call these great games.”

So much for that particular Plan B. Dammit, I liked the thought of Chucky on the Bills sideline, too.

Per Pat Yasinskas: "Working with Mike (Tirico), Jaws (Ron Jaworski) and our entire Monday Night Football team is the most fun I have had in years, and I am fired up to make this long-term commitment to ESPN," said Gruden. “Monday Night Football is special and I look forward to remaining a part of it and continuing to call these great games.”

So much for that particular Plan B. Dammit, I liked the thought of Chucky on the Bills sideline, too.

could be a clever ruse on his part to find out who really wants him

yeah, that's the ticket!

He's good on those broadcasts, and it has to be a hell of a lot more enjoyable than pacing the sidelines.

I don't buy it....I think he said the same thing about wanting to stay with the Raiders - before he signed a contract with the Bucs - about 12 minutes later.

I always liked his post-game conferences.

I also wonder why any big-time collegiate coach would leave those situations with the money, tons of side benefits, and join the NFL ranks and then be faced with changing player's diapers and trying to stop them from banging rattles on their high chair trays - constantly.

:(

Well, I wouldn't count him out anyway. This extension certainly makes it look likely that he'll stay in the booth for at least another year, but he's a coach. He'll have the itch to return at some point.

Well, I wouldn't count him out anyway. This extension certainly makes it look likely that he'll stay in the booth for at least another year, but he's a coach. He'll have the itch to return at some point.

A coach who majored in communications, and who used to "call" games imitating Curt Gowdy when he was a kid ...

We all knew Parcells would go back. Gru, I'm not so sure.

Not to worry, this is all part of Ralph's master plan to sell the team to ESPN. The good news is the team stays in Buffalo, while ESPN operations are moved here from Bristol. And in a special side deal with the League, and a boost to Buffalo ex-pats eveywhere, all Bills games will be televised on the new ESPN-Bills channel.

The first step is to have a staff in place that would remain during any transition period. So, for next year and as long as he is able, Ralph continues as owner/president, but the rest of the staff will experience a shake up. Although certain positions are yet to be filled, what we know so far is as follows:

Chris Berman: GM

Gruden: Head Coach

Jaws: OC and QB coach (initially Steve Young was going to be QB coach, but Jaws couldn't stand the whining)

Merril Hodge: RB coach

Schlereth: OL coach

Ditka: TE coach (why not ... da Bills)

Carter and Johnson: TBD (they were approached about the WR coach position, but neither would shut up long enough so Berman could ask them, so he might go in another direction)

Tom Jackson: DC

Golic: DL coach

Bruschi: LB coach

Kiper: Director of scouting

Clayton, Pasquarelli, Schefter: Pro personnel staff

Matt Millen: Opposite Man (i.e., Berman will do opposite of whatever Millen says, sort of a sanity check on personnel decisions)

Ed Werder: Director of PR (he just cracks me up ... Ed Werder...)

Key to the deal was ESPN's agreement to keep Mortensen and Greenberg away from Bills' operations.

Tim Graham could probably confirm this, but I hear he is set to replace all four Senior Vice Presidents, so he may not want to ruffle any feathers until it's all made official...

sorry about that, my way of venting ... back to your regularly scheduled Jauron snooze-fest teleconference.

I'm sure he's smart enough to have an out claus if he wants to return to coach.

Unfortunately, he is probably smart enough not to take a job here ...

Exactly, plus Ralph loses money by hiring a big time coach. The loss of $$ from fans is far less than the $$ he'd have to guarantee a Gruden or Cowher.

I wonder how the salaries compare what he'll make from ESPN vs what an NFL head coach typically earns. And then there's what an NFL head coach would make in Buffalo.

If it's a wash, other than the love of the competition(and not to be take nlightly), why bother coaching and have all the stress?

I wonder how the salaries compare what he'll make from ESPN vs what an NFL head coach typically earns. And then there's what an NFL head coach would make in Buffalo.

If it's a wash, other than the love of the competition(and not to be take nlightly), why bother coaching and have all the stress?

My best guess is, he'd make more money coaching, but he probably doesn't need to look for a second job either way.

FWIW, here's the release from ESPN:

http://espnmediazone.com/press_releases/20...enExtension.htm

(Hat tip to Chris Brown at bb.com for posting it on his blog, and it looks like one of the webbies in Bristol needs to learn how Gru spells his first name ...)

I'm sure there is an out clause for him to coach somewhere.

Same here. Now it looks like I will go with my other possible candidate, Brian Billick.

I'm not sure how qualified Gruden is on personnel matters, but based on his QB carousel I'd say probably not very. And the Bills not only need a new head coach, but they also need to hand over full control of personnel. I'd say Cowher and Shanahan and even Holmgren are more viable candidates for that. Anything less than those three and it'll likely just be more of the same.