DOM vs MARTY

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dom and Roy IMO are two of the best goalies of all time but my personal favorite will always be Tom Barrasso. To this day I am still pissed off that we traded him away to the Pens. Tommy B's accomplishments speak for themselves- first goalie to jump directly from high school to the NHL, Won Calder Trophy and Vezina Trophy as an 18 year old rookie, won B2B Stanley Cups in 91 and 92, most consecutive Stanley Cup victories with 14 including 11 to finish the post season, All time leader among goalies with 48 points all assists, 3.24 GAA, 38 SO, first U.S. born goalie to win 300 games, 369 victories rank second all-time among American-born goalies, and is one of the top 5 all time US born players. Tommy B was one hell of a goalie.

Marty is a GREAT goalie.

However, anyone that would argue he is better than Hasek just plain doesn't know hockey.

-for all of the awards, stats and accomplishments given in the above posts-

Marty is the all time wins leader and is going to be the all time shutouts record holder (1 away from tying 2 away from breaking the shutouts record). When all is said and done with few exceptions Marty will have all the major goal tending records.

So why is Dom better?

Hasek... obviously some bias on this board...but the Devils, who almost destroyed the NHL with their life sucking style of play, rarely left their goaltender exposed the way Hasek was the Sabres. No scientific proof, but I would drunkenly argument style say, Hasek on his own, stole about 10 victories a year for the Sabres. Broudouer is a fine goalie, but, IMO, wouldn't have near the record he has, playing on teams like Hasek played during his days in Buffalo. I will give Marty the edge in consistency. For every 5 stellar games that Hasek had, he would absolutely crap the bed on the sixth... Marty has just always been solid, if not spectacular. I think a Roy vs Hasek argument has more merit....

Say it while sober and say it with pride my friend...he easily stole a dozen games a year with his acrobats.

I actually think if you ask anybody who likes hockey they will tell you that Hasek was the best. Could you imagine the mind blowing stats he would of had if he came into the leauge at 20..NOT 29. I don't know enough a about Roy to put him infront of marty though

Hasek came into the league at 25 not 29. Even if Hasek came into the league in his early 20's like most he would have he wouldn't have finished with better stats then Marty (Who did loose a whole year and two thirds of his prime to work stoppages)

Hasek by his mid 30's in his final year with Buffalo and his years with Detroit wasn't the same dominating guy. While Marty at age 37 is the best in the game. So yeah Hasek would have finished with 550 plus wins but odds are Marty would have surpassed him (No way he would have finished with much more then 600 wins) even if Marty would have had to have surpassed it later in his career.

If you asked a lot of hockey experts in 2005 who was the best they would say Hasek. BUT now Marty has shown he isn't the product of an era or a system. Most hockey experts look at what Marty has done post lockout and see that he is the best. And why is Hasek a guy who played in the most defensive era of modern hockey the greatest goalie ever?

Dom and Roy IMO are two of the best goalies of all time but my personal favorite will always be Tom Barrasso. To this day I am still pissed off that we traded him away to the Pens. Tommy B's accomplishments speak for themselves- first goalie to jump directly from high school to the NHL, Won Calder Trophy and Vezina Trophy as an 18 year old rookie, won B2B Stanley Cups in 91 and 92, most consecutive Stanley Cup victories with 14 including 11 to finish the post season, All time leader among goalies with 48 points all assists, 3.24 GAA, 38 SO, first U.S. born goalie to win 300 games, 369 victories rank second all-time among American-born goalies, and is one of the top 5 all time US born players. Tommy B was one hell of a goalie.

Buffalo is a drinking town with a hockey problem, and that was Tommy B's problem too. Best career move was getting out of town.

Hasek came into the league at 25 not 29. Even if Hasek came into the league in his early 20's like most he would have he wouldn't have finished with better stats then Marty (Who did loose a whole year and two thirds of his prime to work stoppages)

Hasek by his mid 30's in his final year with Buffalo and his years with Detroit wasn't the same dominating guy. While Marty at age 37 is the best in the game. So yeah Hasek would have finished with 550 plus wins but odds are Marty would have surpassed him (No way he would have finished with much more then 600 wins) even if Marty would have had to have surpassed it later in his career.

If you asked a lot of hockey experts in 2005 who was the best they would say Hasek. BUT now Marty has shown he isn't the product of an era or a system. Most hockey experts look at what Marty has done post lockout and see that he is the best. And why is Hasek a guy who played in the most defensive era of modern hockey the greatest goalie ever?

Dom had a work stoppage to bro

Dom had a work stoppage to bro

Not in the prime of his career I mean Marty was getting 35-40 win seasons year after year right before that 2004-2005 work stoppage. That work stoppage alone cost him 35-40 wins (Hasek was 39/40 at the time while Marty was 32/33). Brodeur and Hasek both lost time in the 94-95 work stoppage when both were fully entrenched starters so that one is a wash. But the 04/05 lockout really hurt Brodeur more then Hasek.

Marty is just better get over it. The numbers point to it and now post-lockout the circumstances in which Marty excelled point to it as well. Marty didn't need a great team to succeed he just had a great team masked how great he was. And now that he has had a chance to play in an offensive era on a mediocre defensive team Marty has proven that he would have succeeded no matter what.

Not in the prime of his career I mean Marty was getting 35-40 win seasons year after year right before that 2004-2005 work stoppage. That work stoppage alone cost him 35-40 wins (Hasek was 39/40 at the time while Marty was 32/33). Brodeur and Hasek both lost time in the 94-95 work stoppage when both were fully entrenched starters so that one is a wash. But the 04/05 lockout really hurt Brodeur more then Hasek.

Marty is just better get over it. The numbers point to it and now post-lockout the circumstances in which Marty excelled point to it as well. Marty didn't need a great team to succeed he just had a great team masked how great he was. And now that he has had a chance to play in an offensive era on a mediocre defensive team Marty has proven that he would have succeeded no matter what.

Yeah, because Clemmonsen didn't have better numbers than Brodeur did last year. Clearly, it was Marty's play that pulled the Devils through, and not the other way around. And Clemmonsen is having a heck of a year for the Cats this year (not). Again, it is clearly Brodeur that pulled the Devs along, and there has been no reciprocation due to playing the most boring game in the NHL (apologies to Lemaire's Wild (hmm, where else might Lemaire have coached?)).

Heck, Yann Danis technically has better numbers than Brodeur does this year.

Brodeur is a very good goalie, but you'd have a FAR superior argument if you were trying (incorrectly) to claim that Roy was a better goalie than Hasek.

Yeah, because Clemmonsen didn't have better numbers than Brodeur did last year. Clearly, it was Marty's play that pulled the Devils through, and not the other way around. And Clemmonsen is having a heck of a year for the Cats this year (not). Again, it is clearly Brodeur that pulled the Devs along, and there has been no reciprocation due to playing the most boring game in the NHL (apologies to Lemaire's Wild (hmm, where else might Lemaire have coached?)).

Heck, Yann Danis technically has better numbers than Brodeur does this year.

Brodeur is a very good goalie, but you'd have a FAR superior argument if you were trying (incorrectly) to claim that Roy was a better goalie than Hasek.

My Chief argument is that the 2005-2006, 2006-2007, and 2007-2008 Devils were not good defensive teams (Average in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 while bad in 2007-2008). They had a lot of young guys learning the game (Andy Greene and Johnny Odyua as well as a older inexperienced guy in Mike Mottau) and before the 2007-2008 season Marty lost more talent in front of him when Rafalski left.

YET Lou knew that Marty could carry these guys while they learned (Believe me Mottau and Odyua weren't very good until 2008-2009 and Green wasn't very good until this season in fact they were horrible at times) and he did he carried them while winning two Vezna trophies.

Yeah the Devils helped Brodeur but watch those first few years after the lockout (Especially 2007-2008 when Rafalski wasn't there and the offense without Gomez and other players struggling was pretty pedestrian) Brodeur helped carry the Devils a lot post lockout. Brodeur is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, and the excellence of execution.

Brodeur is better then Roy unquestionably (I mean Hasek you have a case for I just think what he has done recently negates that case). Think about this in 2006-2007 (Post lockout no Stevens, Niedermayer, and in an unquestionably more offensive era) he posted a 2.18 GAA and in 2007-2008 (No Rafalski this time around) he posted a 2.17 GAA both those GAA's would have been 2nd best in Roy's career (Pre-lock out and on some dam good Colorado and Canadians in the trap era).

A quick question about Hasek did he play with big pads? Post lockout they cut down on how big the size of pads could be. Marty's pads now and pre-lockout were smaller then even the new regulations.