One Bills Live...Maddy Glab

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Murph is useless.  Hate listening to him on the broadcast.  Hate listening to him on the show.

Tasker is truly unlistenable.  Hate myself when I tune in and he is on.  Doesn’t listen to what’s being said, just spews garbage that may or may not be on topic.

Maddy isn’t horrible, just doesn’t have depth of knowledge.  Has surface knowledge.

I like Murph on PxP, but he's horrible on radio.  

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Image result for maddy glab

I think she's doing a fine job.

Who is this?  Certainly not Ms. Glab.

She is doing a nice job, and is young and will keep getting better.

I like that she does research and wants to use statistics to make key points.

The use of these will get smoother and stronger as she progresses and gets experience.

And by far,  Murphy and Tasker offer the best Bills radio broadcast I have ever listened to--almost totally focused on the Bills and their opponents, very little of the side stuff, the poor humor and grating time-filling sidetracks of most other Bills (and sports radio shows) I have listened to, and very little attempt to create false topics and conflict to fill their shows.

Yes, tough to fill 3 hours day after day, clearly, but an excellent job.  I am not in the area anymore and wonder how their ratings are compared to other Bills and sports shows in Buffalo?

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1

Admittedly I'm sexist when it comes to women doing sports reporting and broadcasting. But when a woman starts talking about men's professional sports I almost always change the channel. It reminds me of watching a game with my sister and wanting to tell her that she doesn't know what she's talking about. The Fabulous Sports Babe back in the day was about the only one I could tolerate, maybe because she was so out there.

My disdain includes most sideline reporters, male or female. 99.9% of the time they ask inane questions, and get meaningless answers. "Josh, did you think you had a chance to win?" Just once I'd like to hear "No, we all thought we were going to lose, but we're getting paid so we had to play the game anyway." I'd rather have them just go to the commercial break and get it over with. Kevin Kiley, on TNT I believe, was the only sideline reporter I ever heard ask intelligent questions.

What a seriously classless thread by most involved - let's insult her looks? 

Insult her voice (I guess reasonable for the job)?   Insult her lack of experience out of ignorance - she's actually reasonably experienced and pretty bright.

Insult her name???  WTF?

Honestly find something better to do with your time, losers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As others said, she is still learning her craft and yes,  her voice takes a little getting used to, but she's not just there as a pretty face, she really knows her football and sports in general and she comes prepared. You can tell when she has had to interview people like Greg Cosell, that they give her some respect because she is prepared and asks intelligent questions. So, I have no problem with her. She's a big upgrade from their earlier attempts of bringing a young woman on staff to do video segments with players, etc. And apparently a big part of her job is social media, so of course they want someone young to do that job.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah unfortunately I have to turn it off when she is on.    The combination of the faint voice AND heavy nasal makes it work to listen.    When she's on with Tasker who is constantly breathing into the mic and shifting the spit in his mouth it's just really bad.    A lot of people hate Schopp for his takes but the guy is really good as a broadcaster.  

LOL.  He's about as nasally and monotonous as can be.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John Gianelli said:

Admittedly I'm sexist when it comes to women doing sports reporting and broadcasting. But when a woman starts talking about men's professional sports I almost always change the channel. It reminds me of watching a game with my sister and wanting to tell her that she doesn't know what she's talking about.

I have my character flaws.  I suppose we all do.  But most of us try to overcome or to hide 'em.

There are a lot of male reporters who have never played the sport and who have gaps in their knowledge of either the sport as a whole or the team.

There are even some ex-players who have been kind of dufus-y, maybe their knowledge of the game wasn't all that broad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

She's not very good. I'm surprised that somebody with such an obvious lack of experience can jump right to where she is. Isn't she essentially the social media face of the Bills now? I'd think somebody would be gaining experience working for the Jamestown Jammers or something a bit more entry level, not awkwardly finding their way with a professional sports team, but I honestly have no idea how competitive positions like these are. Really hope she gets better but its been months.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It took me google and 2.3 seconds to turn up this:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/meet-maddy-glab-the-new-bills-reporter

I spent the last four years working for the University of Tennessee as their On-Air Talent/Multi-Media Producer (....) At Tennessee, I was the sideline reporter during football games for the University's official radio station as well as the sideline reporter for SEC Network digital games for several men's/women's basketball and volleyball games. I appeared on-camera for player interviews and different social media segments. In addition, I also produced feature stories for the football and men's basketball coaches shows. 

I don't know what you call "grind" or "any significant period of time" but 4 years OTJ experience seems significant to me...I mean, we're ready to throw top draft picks in the trash if they aren't lighting the league (and our hair) on fire after 2. 

She may have had a couple other years of experience beyond that - again a google search after looking at her Facebook profile showed she's ~28 yrs old.

I hope this means you don't consider anyone with less than a decade covering college sports to have put in significant time, vs Yet Another Let's Dismiss the Girl as Unqualified Before We Look At Her Actual Experience schtick

i did not know this (obviously) and again i was attempting to defend the girl from all this vitriol she inevitably gets whenever she’s on the air for more than 5 minutes. Maybe take a look at the guy (it’s always a guy) posting a complaint thread about maddy glab every time he hears her and it offends his football ears.

2 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I think people are being harsh. Seemed to work well with Fred Jackson on the game review show.

She is not a clueless bimbo. And she is likeable, always has a smile on her face. That will do me just fine.

you realize what i highlighted above are exactly how these posters feel about her. 

3 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I think people are being harsh. Seemed to work well with Fred Jackson on the game review show.

She is not a clueless bimbo. And she is likeable, always has a smile on her face. That will do me just fine.

they are being harsh and it’s sad but what can you expect from around here? Have you seen the posts when Mowins calls a game?

• Like (+1) 1