Sammy Watkins 'scarred' by Bills trade, didn't want to be in Buffalo

HOUSE

10 minutes ago, Needle said:

All the talent you could possibly put in a player with zero intangibles.

I don't think he enjoys pro football and maybe he should walk away from it. 

I wondered this while reading that and immediately thought, if McDermott sensed that, no wonder he decided to flip him for a 2nd and EJ Gaines. McDermott’s big thing is football character. I don’t fault Sammy or anyone else for deciding they don’t love it. It’s not an easy game, you need to put your health on the line, and he’s set for life financially. It’s just not the type of player McDermott wants on his team. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, papazoid said:

self defense mechanism

he's all but certain to be a cap casualty. no way he stays for $21 mil cap hit....he knows it

unlikely any other team pays him top dollar. 

so he wants to frame it as his choice to sit out and rest a year.

..so should we anticipate the "bring 'em in " threads?.....you know THAT drill and TBD purgatory period is ripe.........

7 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I wonder what team he'll be on that you are shutting down.  He'll be a FA this offseason.  Maybe the Colts or Jags bring him in?  Or possibly the Jets?

I've never been to Buffalo.  It looks like a fine town to me, but I like snow and wings.  I think while the town itself probably doesn't have a great rep, the actual football team hasn't recently been a squad that most top guys would think was about to go to the SB.  Maybe that perception changes if Allen takes another step and Buffalo wins a playoff game or 2 in 2020.  Ultimately, 95% of guys will go if the Bills are the highest bidder.

Mostly agree, just think it’s weird it always comes up. Why are they talking about Buffalo when they’re at the pro bowl or about to play in the super bowl?

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh there is plenty to be critical of........but the vague opinions of former players who left under less than amicable(read: "normal") circumstances is not one of them.

Everybody's feelings get hurt when they don't get treated like they want.

McCoy is the prime example.........all they did was throw money at that guy..........Rex/Whaley tore up his Eagles deal that still had 3 years left and allowed him to double dip...........then McBeane gave him $2M bonus in summer of 2017 to help sell "the process".    And he's still got beef with the team for how he was treated.    Whatcha' gonna' do?  

I haven't recalled Shady saying anything negative, aside from mentioning that he wanted the FO to be more honest, which none of us necessarily disagree with - seems less critical and more straightforward from my point of view. He expanded upon his talk about the bills by giving the community and fanbase glowing compliments from what I read earlier

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wondered this while reading that and immediately thought, if McDermott sensed that, no wonder he decided to flip him for a 2nd and EJ Gaines. McDermott’s big thing is football character. I don’t fault Sammy or anyone else for deciding they don’t love it. It’s not an easy game, you need to put your health on the line, and he’s set for life financially. It’s just not the type of player McDermott wants on his team. 

Watkins has given off that vibe many times and this quote about taking a year off  just solidifies that in my opinion. I agree with the decision not to pay a guy that isn't all in. 

I agree with you and I don't really fault Sammy. In many ways alot of these athletes have lost the opportunity to do something different. 

6 minutes ago, Needle said:

Watkins has given off that vibe many times and this quote about taking a year off  just solidifies that in my opinion. I agree with the decision not to pay a guy that isn't all in. 

I agree with you and I don't really fault Sammy. In many ways alot of these athletes have lost the opportunity to do something different. 

What a sacrifice, Sammy made 53 million bucks in 6 years playing football while having to give up his dream of being an alien reptilian brain surgeon frisbeeing through space.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

What a sacrifice, Sammy made 53 million bucks in 6 years playing football while having to give up his dream of being an alien reptilian brain surgeon frisbeeing through space.

Just because the money is incredible doesn't mean that a person loves the job. If you don't love being in the NFL, I would imagine it could be difficult doing the job.

Comments from McCoy that link off that article...

“I just wish they would have been more honest, because I was trying to get out of there,” McCoy said. “So it was weird. So many things entered my mind.”

McCoy never took any shots at Singletary, but certainty he seems unhappy with the Bills to a degree, calling the end of his time with the team “up and down” and mentioning he requested a trade if the team is “rebuilding.”

I think people can stop with the McBeane hate on both Sammy and McCoy now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bbb said:

He makes no sense.  I was thinking the same thing. 

Now, he says he might take next year off to chill (after accomplishing so much?) or maybe create another Super Bowl team (like he's the one who led them there)

"But I'm really in a different space right now. I don't know what I'm going to do. If we win it, I might chill out. I might sit out a year. You just never know.

"Not retiring, but I might just want to rest up and chill. I don't know. I don't want to say I'm going to do something, but you never know. I might want to go somewhere else and create another Super Bowl team. So it's just all about how I'm feeling. I've got to sit down with my family, my parents and grandparents and everybody and just see what I want to do.''

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28600847/chiefs-sammy-watkins-ponders-future-sit-2020-season  

Sounds like  a real team first guy.  He should chill after that whopping production he cranked out this season  Talk about a guy living off of old expectations

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, bbb said:

He makes no sense.  I was thinking the same thing. 

Now, he says he might take next year off to chill (after accomplishing so much?) or maybe create another Super Bowl team (like he's the one who led them there)

"But I'm really in a different space right now. I don't know what I'm going to do. If we win it, I might chill out. I might sit out a year. You just never know.

"Not retiring, but I might just want to rest up and chill. I don't know. I don't want to say I'm going to do something, but you never know. I might want to go somewhere else and create another Super Bowl team. So it's just all about how I'm feeling. I've got to sit down with my family, my parents and grandparents and everybody and just see what I want to do.''

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28600847/chiefs-sammy-watkins-ponders-future-sit-2020-season  

Talk about being out of touch with reality. 

20 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Sammy might be my biggest "miss." I was sure he was going to be great. Granted the Bills did not properly utilize him, but still.

He had his best production with the Bills. If Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes can’t make him look good, nobody can. He isn’t a bust, he is a second tier wide receiver because of his attitude. First tier talent. Can’t coach attitude or character. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Sounds like  a real team first guy.  He should chill after that whopping production he cranked out this season  Talk about a guy living off of old expectations

Reid aught to sit his ass. He won’t be the difference between a win and a loss.  WTF talks like that at this time?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

I haven't recalled Shady saying anything negative, aside from mentioning that he wanted the FO to be more honest, which none of us necessarily disagree with - seems less critical and more straightforward from my point of view. He expanded upon his talk about the bills by giving the community and fanbase glowing compliments from what I read earlier

I disagree with your contention that they should have been "more honest".

And saying someone should be "more honest" is BOTH critical(you lied!) and the opposite of "straightforward"..?

McBeane's obligation is to do what's best for the organization.

They weren't obligated to trade him in October of 2018 nor were they wrong for not releasing him after the season if there was a chance that he wouldn't make the 2019 roster.

When he insisted on $26M in new guaranteed money and two more years added to his Eagles contract(which ran thru the end of 2017) just to report to the team in 2015 he kinda' waived a lot of his rights going forward. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/29/2020 at 8:14 PM, billsfan89 said:

Although I think Sammy did have his issues that were on him I could understand what he is saying IF (and this is unknown) McD had assured Sammy that he was a big part of their future and that they want him there long term (which considering his age at the time and the fact that he was a blue chip player inherited by McD is possible) and then they turn around and trade him would scar a players trust in coaches. Sammy had probably by 2017 never had an issue staying on a team or believing a coach when they said they wanted him. I would assume he was heavily recruited out of high school and was a star in college, he was then drafted by Buffalo high up and survived a coaching change from Marrone to Rex. 

Then suddenly a new coach trades you in pre-season (possibly after being reassured you are part of the teams plans) and you are in a position as a player you never have been in. I don't think that is an unreasonable emotion for a player to have. And I don't blame McD for pulling that type of move, for one he could have actually felt that Sammy was a part of the team's future when he got there until realizing he had attitude issues or he just wanted to preserve his trade value by not announcing he was trading Sammy. 

It just ended up being a bitter situation for both parties that needed to end when it did. Sammy seems to have matured a bit the past year or so and he is doing well. The Bills got a pick used to trade up for Josh and a good season out of a corner for him. 

He was a part of the team’s plans.  He was a part of the plan to get picks to move up and get the future QB that’s a big part of the plan.

I was not a guy who wanted to trade Sammy when it happened.  I did feel we got fair compensation, so I wasn't bitter, but after seeing what Sammy did early here I was looking forward to seeing him healthy and back in the fold.  

Once he got to LA, I gave Sammy the benefit of the doubt as no one on the team had crazy stats as they spread the ball around so much.  I watched him get doubled a lot too.  

However, since he landed in KC, I feel like several things have become a lot more clear about Sammy.  From a talent perspective, he has loads of it.  But the reality is, he is just soft and lacks that drive to be great and live up to his abilities.  He just doesn't have that extra gear.  

I think if KC had cut him over his massive contract, he would have had a good market and could have gotten another deal at $10M+ per year still.  HOWEVER...these latest comments would be quite the turn off and red flag to me if I was a GM.  Might take a year off?  Clear sign football isn't his passion or priority to sit out in your prime and "chill".  Not a good look for his commitment or drive even if he doesn't actually sit a year.  And his comments about how valuable he is because he shows up to practice?  Come on, thats your job Sammy, that doesn't make you "special" like he said.  

Personally, I think he really hurt his value if he became a FA due to KC cutting him over his contract.  And there is still the option of renegotiating his contract to stay in KC, but honestly, I am not so sure KC will want given how little he has produced and these recent comments.  They got other good WR's and this is also a loaded WR draft.  I can't see KC wanting to pay Sammy even on a reduced deal when they have cheaper WR's on the roster now and an opportunity to draft more cheap talent in a loaded WR class.  

PREDICTION:  KC does NOT renegotiate and just cuts him.  He is forced to sign a one year prove it deal for like $8M somewhere.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:03 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

Sour Grapes. Rarely will a player ever say nice things about a team that didnt want him - Dareus, Sammy, Shady etc. The narrative coming from the players in the locker room is what I care about at this point.

I didn't think Sammy ever wanted to be here in the 1st place.

• Like (+1) 1