Sammy Watkins 'scarred' by Bills trade, didn't want to be in Buffalo

HOUSE

3 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Also, he's a flat-earther. 

Wasn't sure if you were joking so looked it up - you weren't joking!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/20/sammy-watkins-los-angeles-rams-earth-flat

At least Kyrie recanted - wonder if that "scarred" poor Sammy

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Man did Beane and McDermott inherit a mess!!

every single interview From these former players  gives me more confidence in our now FO and coaches. 

Right on. These guys even McCoy not process players. 

34 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

100%

i assume his “not trusting coaches” comment is directed and Marrone who played him in the preseason with broken ribs.

Lot's of players play hurt. Don't give a rats behind about Watkins. Even tho Marrone is a jerk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Is it the Buffalo media asking asking these ridiculous loaded questions? Who else would care about how these guys felt when they got dealt from the team? What is the media trying to prove? Very, very weird. The responses are predictable. Does the media just have a thing for hearing someone take a dump on Buffalo so they try to incite it at every opportunity?

Are you new to reading newspapers? 

I’m still scarred that the words “The Buffalo Bills select Khalil Mack, Linebacker, University of Buffalo” didn’t come out of Rog’s mouth that day.

Of all the draft day whiffs of the last 20 years, that one...still stings.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Usually the word "scarred" has negative, long-lasting, connotations - it allegedly left him "scarred", but then he further elaborates how it revived his career and resulted in a plethora of blessings ?

No one has claimed sammy is bright. Has a horsehose up his arse for sure.

Although I think Sammy did have his issues that were on him I could understand what he is saying IF (and this is unknown) McD had assured Sammy that he was a big part of their future and that they want him there long term (which considering his age at the time and the fact that he was a blue chip player inherited by McD is possible) and then they turn around and trade him would scar a players trust in coaches. Sammy had probably by 2017 never had an issue staying on a team or believing a coach when they said they wanted him. I would assume he was heavily recruited out of high school and was a star in college, he was then drafted by Buffalo high up and survived a coaching change from Marrone to Rex. 

Then suddenly a new coach trades you in pre-season (possibly after being reassured you are part of the teams plans) and you are in a position as a player you never have been in. I don't think that is an unreasonable emotion for a player to have. And I don't blame McD for pulling that type of move, for one he could have actually felt that Sammy was a part of the team's future when he got there until realizing he had attitude issues or he just wanted to preserve his trade value by not announcing he was trading Sammy. 

It just ended up being a bitter situation for both parties that needed to end when it did. Sammy seems to have matured a bit the past year or so and he is doing well. The Bills got a pick used to trade up for Josh and a good season out of a corner for him. 

The guy was an extremely young player playing for Rex Ryan!! Are we at all surprised that it wasn’t a good situation?!? You heard numerous vets say the exact same thing.

Side note, my buddy that played for Saban and BB finished his career with Rob Ryan as his coordinator. He said it was the most unorganized, unprofessional environment that he ever experienced. It was a disaster. He laughs at it.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The bills trading Watkins was the right move. He has never lived up to where he was drafted. He is a nice complimentary reciever. He's not a number 1 like he was drafted to be 

Given that Sammy is still young I think he could develop into a DeSean Jackson type burner which is a solid mid-level WR1. But the Bills drafted him to be a complete game changing WR one of the best at his position. He just never lived up to that billing and he might not even get to that D Jax level he flashes the potential to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ughhhh. Yet another story about a former Bill who is blessed to be gone. Good lord. I hated trading Sammy at the time, and even more so after seeing the offensive “talent” they replaced him with, but enough already. Who is asking these questions? 

Side note - so much for the Bills being his favorite team. I always thought that was a little phony anyway. I mean come on, the Bills must’ve been terrible when he was growing up. Where’s the appeal? The color scheme? Those unis were also awful in the early 2000s. Always just felt a little forced like saying something he felt like he had to say. I’m skeptical. 

28 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I’m still scarred that the words “The Buffalo Bills select Khalil Mack, Linebacker, University of Buffalo” didn’t come out of Rog’s mouth that day.

so many of us thought the same thing.  as soon as the trade happened,  we thought...sweet.  here comes mack!

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I swear to God, we need to start a "Bills Draft Day Recovery" 12 step program.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Is it the Buffalo media asking asking these ridiculous loaded questions? Who else would care about how these guys felt when they got dealt from the team? What is the media trying to prove? Very, very weird. The responses are predictable. Does the media just have a thing for hearing someone take a dump on Buffalo so they try to incite it at every opportunity?

do you always feel so persecuted?