Sammy Watkins 'scarred' by Bills trade, didn't want to be in Buffalo

Some of you are so sensitive.  Of course he’s happier now.  He played in a high school offense when he was here.  It was a joke.  He also had people questioning his toughness so he he rushed back too quickly from a foot injury that has never really healed.

watkins didn’t have the career he was expected too.  Yet, he’s been on the best offenses of the last 3 years, made the playoffs every year since leaving Buffalo, and is now playing in SB.  And if you want to blame anyone, blame the media for baiting him with those questions.  He really caused no problems here so I don’t really get the hostility.  But no one wants their ex to be happy I guess

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Expect A LOT more players in coming years expressing disappointment in their treatment by McBeane.

Because that's the way it works.............if you are in charge of an NFL team long enough you disappoint players by cutting them, trading them, not giving them enough playing time etc..

I think what you are saying is Beane will move on from players when they don’t perform.

Ragland- get what you can for him, was injured and didn’t fit system of coach.

Watkins- talented but hurt often and never lived up to draft status. Get what you can for him.

McCoy- on the downside of career. They wanted to see if he could transition into a mentor for Singletary. When it became apparent he couldn’t, he was released. 
All three of these particular players were dealt or released for very visible reasons. I wish them no ill, but soooo glad we have a GM who has a real pulse on the team and it’s players.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Some of you are so sensitive.  Of course he’s happier now.  He played in a high school offense when he was here.  It was a joke.  He also had people questioning his toughness so he he rushed back too quickly from a foot injury that has never really healed.

watkins didn’t have the career he was expected too.  Yet, he’s been on the best offenses of the last 3 years, made the playoffs every year since leaving Buffalo, and is now playing in SB.  And if you want to blame anyone, blame the media for baiting him with those questions.  He really caused no problems here so I don’t really get the hostility.  But no one wants their ex to be happy I guess

Agreed. The Bills were a dysfunctional mess when Watkins was drafted, especially with Brandon, Whaley and Marrone running the clown show. Bills Brass saw how terrible EJ Manuel was, and felt their jobs were on the line with the Bills up for sale, so they had to scramble to sign Kyle Orton. After Orton retired and Marrone quit, Brandon duped the Pegula's to signing Rex Ryan, and ultimately, Tyrod Taylor became the starter. Taylor averaged between 150-200 yards a game with receivers like Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan, which was pathetic! So after three years of that, it's no reason why he felt the way he did. Losing year after year sucks and it starts to impact certain players (see the Sabres). Now with McBeane trading Watkins, IMO they felt he wasn't a team first guy, had problems staying healthy and wasn't going to be in their long term plans, so they traded him.  

Hopefully guys like Watkins, Dareus and McCoy will be the last to bash the Bills. I think McBeane and the Pegula's have done a great job of building a good culture in Buffalo. As long as McBeane and the Pegula's continue a building/having a good culture, the national stigma that has been plaguing the Bills for years will finally go away.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

Ha. The order in which you wrote those paragraphs says a lot. It’s pretty clear you know you can’t really level criticism at what McD and Beane have done, but because they didn’t do it the way you would have you just can’t help yourself.

Oh there is plenty to be critical of........but the vague opinions of former players who left under less than amicable(read: "normal") circumstances is not one of them.

Everybody's feelings get hurt when they don't get treated like they want.

McCoy is the prime example.........all they did was throw money at that guy..........Rex/Whaley tore up his Eagles deal that still had 3 years left and allowed him to double dip...........then McBeane gave him $2M bonus in summer of 2017 to help sell "the process".    And he's still got beef with the team for how he was treated.    Whatcha' gonna' do?  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

He's in a better place and we are, too.

I look forward to him being scarred when we shut him down next year in the playoffs. 

Also, he's a flat-earther. 

I wonder what team he'll be on that you are shutting down.  He'll be a FA this offseason.  Maybe the Colts or Jags bring him in?  Or possibly the Jets?

10 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Man, Buffalo’s really taking a beating lately. 

Pro bowl players rate Buffalo the worst place to play. Ragland and Sammy talking before their super bowl about how happy they were to be saved from us. 

Top free agents at the pro bowl saying we’re an undesirable destination. 

How is Buffalo such a hot topic at the pro bowl and before the super bowl? Makes no sense. 

I've never been to Buffalo.  It looks like a fine town to me, but I like snow and wings.  I think while the town itself probably doesn't have a great rep, the actual football team hasn't recently been a squad that most top guys would think was about to go to the SB.  Maybe that perception changes if Allen takes another step and Buffalo wins a playoff game or 2 in 2020.  Ultimately, 95% of guys will go if the Bills are the highest bidder.

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Yes.

Huh?

Because I expect more of a journalist than to bait someone into a predictable response so that they can point their fingers and say “Aha! Buffalo isn’t a great place to live, work, and play after all! If Sammy says it’s true, it must be!”

It’s stupid, lazy, and disappointing.Thats not “feeling persecuted”. 

it’s the thinking they are out to get Buffalo part that I was pointing out. The reporter almost certainly didn’t care about who the team was and any young top pick that was traded would see a similar question. They aren’t out to get you/us

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Remember when Leroi said Sammy actually suffered his infamous foot injury by getting it caught in a pothole at Disney? 

I wonder what happened to old Leroi. OBD is so buttoned up these days. 

I do remember that and I've been trying to substantiate that claim ever since.  No luck finding a single mention of it online.

Edited by Jauronimo

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I do remember that and I've been trying to substantiate that claim ever since.  No luck finding a single mention of it online.

I don’t know why I believe Leroi on this but I do. It seems too bizarre to be made up. And he did go to Disney that spring. Also it’s just the Bills luck to have this happen, like Kevin kolb and the wet mats 

1 hour ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

McCoy was running his mouth recently about how bad the Bills did him and how they should have traded him last year, Ragland stated he was upset the Bills traded him without giving him the chance to show what he can do.  All former players took there shots at the Bills.  Sammy should not have been traded up for.

Players get cut or traded all the time in the NFL - especially overpaid ones like McCoy.  Sorry - we tried to trade you but no one wanted you for that much money.  Sorry Reggie - zone defense is apparently too complex for you to understand.  Sammy was on an expiring deal for a team going no where - take the picks.  Still went to the playoffs, and he got hurt - cuz he always gets hurt.

15 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Sour Grapes. Rarely will a player ever say nice things about a team that didnt want him - Dareus, Sammy, Shady etc. The narrative coming from the players in the locker room is what I care about at this point.

Did I miss something Shady said? 

He called Buffalo a special place . Praised the fan base.. 

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s the thinking they are out to get Buffalo part that I was pointing out. The reporter almost certainly didn’t care about who the team was and any young top pick that was traded would see a similar question. They aren’t out to get you/us

My point is that no media outside of Buffalo gives a rats patoot about Buffalo - which is good. So, why the leading questions about “how did it feel to be traded from Buffalo and now be playing for a super bowl?” from the Buffalo media? I highly, highly doubt it is the national media asking those questions. I don’t give a darn about outsiders pooping on the team and town, it’s the city’s own media that seemingly wants to bring the fans back to “reality” about the franchise that gets under my skin.