Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, SDS said:

The *entire world* is not mourning. This is exactly what I just posted about - you are projecting your feelings on to everyone else. Believe it or not, the vast vast vast majority of the world doesn’t give a ***** about the NBA. 

I mean no personal offense man, but you’re wrong about this.  Very wrong.  You seem to be the one projecting your personal feelings about not giving a crap about the NBA.  Meanwhile, fans of every sport in the world are devastated and mourning his loss.  People of all walks of life are carrying a heavy heart over this today.  He was a huge icon and inspiration across the globe.  

It’s your message board, so obviously do what you want.  But like I said, you’re honestly doing what you are accusing him of right now and projecting what appears to be your disdain for the NBA onto everyone else even though this sad story isn’t really about the NBA.  

This is as big if not bigger than when people like Michael Jackson, Payne Stewart, Dale Earnhardt, Prince, Tupac, Biggie, etc does.  It transcends across the whole landscape, not just to NBA fans...which by the way is one of the biggest global sports in the world, bigger than football.  

Especially with his daughter and the 7 other people on board.

PS:  We have had endless AB threads on the main board dedicated to that POS...so I find it weird that this one isn’t capable of being there to show appreciation and respect to one of the greatest competitors the sports world has ever known, his daughter and the other 7 souls lost.

• Like (+1) 3

A big thanks to Chandler for closing down that thread on the main boeard before I saw it and did something that was gonna get me banned.  It was definately going to happen.

I am a Kobe Bryant fan and forever will be (not just because I am a Laker fan for life..but just because the mentality for which he lived his life was truth to me.....and he lived it.......the work eithic.....the ability to take pain.....the abillity to just make it happen....yes....laker fan.

I mourn for him and I mourn for his familly who also lost a beautiful daughter.....so much ahead of her.  I also mourn for the others that were on that helicopter today.

Kobe Bryant did not live a perfect life....he made some mistakes when he was younger.....I truly dont think he forced himself on the girl...what he did do was have sex out of wedlock which I also think is bad.   I lived through a horrible marriage and never ONCE cheated on my then wife.

But I also believe in second chances....and while I did not know Kobe personally I truly believe he was being sincere on the father/husband thing  as he as getting on in life.

The world is not a brighter place now that they are gone......

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Magic averaged over 11 per game and was a consummate team player.  Kobe doesn’t even break the top 50 all time I assists. Living in SoCal I saw Kobe play a lot. He was a ball hog and it really turned me off the game.  Don’t get me wrong he was one of the best to play the game it just wasn’t my style. 

He was definately the guy you wanted taking the final shot to win the game.....

Anyway your point is valid....he was not a sharer of the ball....he was the guy that would put a team on his back and go win it for you.   He was a pure scorer who would defend the other teams best player.   He played on both ends of the court.

4 hours ago, GG said:

You’d be surprised.  His fame exceeds that of just the NBA.  As others mentioned, he’s a big star in China, as well as Europe and Latin America.    That’s a pretty big chunk of the world.   

Just the young people making his Nike sneakers from those countries must know who he is.

• Haha (+1) 2

“The weather conditions did not meet our minimum standards for flying,” Josh Rubenstein, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department, told the paper. He pointed out that the department’s Air Support Division did not fly helicopters early on due to the conditions.

Around the time of the crash, L.A. Times reporter Richard Winton reported that the mountains were “fogged in.”

“It [didn’t] sound right and it was real low. I saw it falling and spluttering. But it was hard to make out as It was so foggy,” Jerry Kocharain told the Los Angeles Times.

"You could hear it – thump, thump, thump – and then a loud thud," Pastor Bob Bjerkaas, who was teaching Sunday school at the Church in the Canyons, told USA Today. His wife ran out and saw a cloud of gray billowing from the mountains,  the report said. Bjerkaas said it was “dense."

"My guess is he was flying low," he said.

• Sad 1

I'm still in shock over what happened yesterday. Nine people lost their lives. Children have to go on without father's, wives have to go on without husband's, family's have to go on without loved ones, and friend's have to go on without ones they held near to their hearts. It's a sad situation for all involved. I hope all of their family and friends can find some sense of peace in all of this, in some way, in some form, and live on with the memories that made their time spent together so special. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Magic averaged over 11 per game and was a consummate team player.  Kobe doesn’t even break the top 50 all time I assists. Living in SoCal I saw Kobe play a lot. He was a ball hog and it really turned me off the game.  Don’t get me wrong he was one of the best to play the game it just wasn’t my style. 

You must hate shooting guards then.  Even so, Kobe's #31 in assists ahead of Jordan.

the news of this tragedy is sad. yes, feeling sad about a celebrity athlete and his daughter as well as others dying is okay. those that seem to push their reasons as to why it is not is pretty pathetic. I was never a real big fan of the nba but back it the late 80's living in orlando I started watching the new team in town, orlando magic. I actually enjoyed watching some good basketball and kobe was a hell of a  basketball player and I enjoyed watching him play.

what's even more sad, are some of the comments in this thread. but what can one expect from those who sit high on that pedestal of perfection. you know, those who never do wrong but are sure to come and chastise those not so perfect in life.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 3

Favorite Kobe stories were his impact on the Lebron/Wade generation after playing with him on the Olympic teams.  Christ, he even got MELO to play defense and rebound on those teams.  His pregame routines and training methods had a big impact on the careers of some of the young guys.  

Wade might've had the best overall Olympics on the '08 team, but Kobe was the closer.  The gold medal game vs Spain is still a decent rewatch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

You must hate shooting guards then.  Even so, Kobe's #31 in assists ahead of Jordan.

There are shooting guards and guards who drive to the net and draw double and triple teams and not kick out to the two to three open guys standing around.  And he’s number #31 in total assists but #147 in average assists per game. 

Again a great player but not my kind of player. 

I never realized that Kobe and I were so close in age, as I was born in 1977. I always thought as him as younger maybe because of him coming out of high school to play in the NBA etc. It's definitely sad news and was shocked when my wife told me last night. I feel bad for his family as lost him and his daughter. To me he was always a good player similar to LeBron in that never will live up to the legend that was Michael Jordan who was the best player of my generation of following the NBA. 

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

And I often see little distinction between the two.

You point isn’t lost on me. But I see no reason to downplay the context, it’s still a massive story.

Massive story yes.  Impact on the world really hard to determine.  Extremely important to some people and a name barely known to others.  Trying to put this on the level of when JFK was shot or the World Trade Center buildings collapsed is just being melodramatic in my mind.  Quite a number will feel a sense of loss but for most people the world will keep on winding the clock forward.

Edited by RochesterRob

Ugh, looking like our dear old friend Pilot Error may be at cause

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/xandr/federal-authorities-tackle-difficult-terrain-073624089.html

Flingwing pilots are notorious for pushing the low VFR because point-to-point speed and convenience is their selling point.  Having to fly a prescribed route and approach under IFR cancels that, even if they're instrument-trained and equipped.

59 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

There are shooting guards and guards who drive to the net and draw double and triple teams and not kick out to the two to three open guys standing around.  And he’s number #31 in total assists but #147 in average assists per game. 

Again a great player but not my kind of player. 

I can think of no better place than this thread for you to share your perceived shortcomings of Kobe Bryant as a player, others to share their feelings about Kobe Bryant as a person, and for others to essentially say "who cares"?

Makes sense.  

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/xandr/federal-authorities-tackle-difficult-terrain-073624089.html

Flingwing pilots are notorious for pushing the low VFR because point-to-point speed and convenience is their selling point.  Having to fly a prescribed route and approach under IFR cancels that, even if they're instrument-trained and equipped.

From looking at the article you supplied I'm surprised that the helicopter was built in 1991... I know nothing about this kind of stuff but it is/was going on 30 years old, that seems like a long lifespan to me.

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

From looking at the article you supplied I'm surprised that the helicopter was built in 1991... I know nothing about this kind of stuff but it is/was going on 30 years old, that seems like a long lifespan to me.

Nah, it's a baby for a helicopter or plane.  Most have long lifespans, where the airframe stays the same but all the other components get continually replaced and upgraded.  Somebody's private baby, it doesn't get used that hard.

The base design of that heli has been around since 1979.

The exception would be commercial airliners, especially short-haul ones, which get beaten up quickly with # duty cycles and with pressurization/depressurization cycles.  But even there, some 30 yrs 747s are still flying.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could be a little early for this conjecture based on the story.   Witnesses said that the helicopter was coming down fast BEFORE impact. Another oddity is that the debris field looked to be very widespread.  Is that common for this type of an accident?

17 minutes ago, GG said:

Could be a little early for this conjecture based on the story.   Witnesses said that the helicopter was coming down fast BEFORE impact. Another oddity is that the debris field looked to be very widespread.  Is that common for this type of an accident?

So I'm no fling-wing expert, but any aircraft has a flight envelope (engine power, angle of attack for the wings) where the wings produce lift, and outside this, the wings will stall (stop producing lift).  Once the wings stall, Mr Gravity takes over and a high rate of descent followed by a big-ass debris field is the inevitable result.

In low visibility, it's not an uncommon "gotcha" for a pilot to get the aircraft into a situation where CFIT (controlled flight into terrain) is imminent, then try to get out of it by pushing the flight envelope and stall the plane, turning a bad situation into a cluster *****

In contrast, if there were a genuine mechanical problem, for most of them the pilot would auto-rotate and the descent would be more controlled - the outcome might still be poor depending upon the terrain and his skill, but generally slower descent, more contained debris field.  There are a few mechanicals where this wouldn't be true.