Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

DrDawkinstein

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

We don't know. That much is true. But there is a TREMENDOUS amount of evidence that the allegation was false. I FULLY believe it was false and beyond initial evidence, subsequent behavior and occurrences have only strengthened my PERSONAL belief.

I wasn't there, so I'll never know anything with certainty just as not a single person can claim to KNOW that OJ Simpson murdered Goldman/Brown.

Point: we have had folks here who have processed the publically available evidence (as expounded in the media) expressing very much the opposite view.

IMO, it's just not the right time for either.  It's one incident in the life of a man who died in a heli crash today, along with his young daughter and 7 other souls.  "Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The entire sports world then, which is very much a global community.

Kobe is huge in China, my lady works for VIPKID before teaching public school at the buttcrack of dawn every day. 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160823005760/en/Kobe-Bryant-Announces-Investment-Chinese-Education-Company

Edited by Teddy KGB

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

perhaps I’m a cynic, but I find the athlete responses are more out of perceived obligation than out of true emotion. 

regardless, 9 people died in that crash. 

Above my pay grade but I think Tyson Chandler and Doc Rivers would disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I appreciate the reply. No where in my post did I sugar coat or ignore that Kobe, like Felicia, and all of us are all flawed. I think it is vile to bring this up as soon as his death is announced, if not for Kobe, then for his family and friends. What was the motive?

The tweet was sent out today, within hours of the reported death, with a link to the article from the past. Why feel the need to drudge up the past as soon as the death is reported?

I can absolutely go with that.  On the other hand it is part of his past.

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

perhaps I’m a cynic, but I find the athlete responses are more out of perceived obligation than out of true emotion. 

regardless, 9 people died in that crash. 

I don’t see it as being a cynic. I see it as viewing the entire picture,  I’m more upset that a dad and his daughter died than I am a former NBA star died. I’m equally upset that all the others died. This is a tragedy, but it’s not just a “Kobe tragedy”.  It’s FAR more than that. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Above my pay grade but I think Tyson Chandler and Doc Rivers would disagree. 

You know what I meant. Clearly there are people who were close to him that are affected. But there is the vast majority that never met the guy, who play another sport, never really followed his career, yet went to Instagram and Twitter today and posted about it. Most of them post out of obligation because their own followers expect them to say something. I try not to confuse obligation with heartfelt sincerity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

The *entire world* is not mourning. This is exactly what I just posted about - you are projecting your feelings on to everyone else. Believe it or not, the vast vast vast majority of the world doesn’t give a ***** about the NBA. 

Dude I'm on two separate UK forums right now and they are absolutely mourning. Go ahead and move the goal posts if necessary because it's just the UK, but I guarantee this is being discussed everywhere

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

You know what I meant. Clearly there are people who were close to him that are affected. But there is the vast majority that never met the guy, who play another sport, never really followed his career, yet went to Instagram and Twitter today and posted about it. Most of them post out of obligation because their own followers expect them to say something. I try not to confuse obligation with heartfelt sincerity.

Neymar?

Novak Djokovic?

Sabrina Ionescu?

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

The *entire world* is not mourning. This is exactly what I just posted about - you are projecting your feelings on to everyone else. Believe it or not, the vast vast vast majority of the world doesn’t give a ***** about the NBA. 

You’d be surprised.  His fame exceeds that of just the NBA.  As others mentioned, he’s a big star in China, as well as Europe and Latin America.    That’s a pretty big chunk of the world.   

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Dude I'm on two separate UK forums right now and they are absolutely mourning. Go ahead and move the goal posts if necessary because it's just the UK, but I guarantee this is being discussed everywhere

There are 7 billion people in the world. I’ll leave it at that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

And I often see little distinction between the two.

You point isn’t lost on me. But I see no reason to downplay the context, it’s still a massive story.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

You’d be surprised.  His fame exceeds that of just the NBA.  As others mentioned, he’s a big star in China, as well as Europe and Latin America.    That’s a pretty big chunk of the world.   

Breen was commentating today, told a story about taking a taxicab in the Philippines I believe. The cabby recognized him and asked ‘NBA? NBA?’...Breen says yes, he works for the NBA. Cabby asks him if he knows Kobe Bryant and he says yeah, he knows him. Breen said the guy just parked his cab and started sobbing because he was driving a guy in his cab who knew Kobe Bryant. 

10 minutes ago, GG said:

Kobe was the top 20 trending topics on twitter today!! This was similar to John Lennon. This was one of the biggest stars in the world because of the international nature of the NBA, he is different. Kobe is the most recognized athlete in China. China has billions of people. He’s a different kind of famous.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kobe was the top 20 trending topics on twitter today!! This was similar to John Lennon. This was one of the biggest stars in the world because of the international nature of the NBA, he is different. Kobe is the most recognized athlete in China. China has billions of people. He’s a different kind of famous.

He's beloved in Italy as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are so many angles to it that just wreck me. Seeing the pictures of his young daughter looking so happy with him at all those basketball games, trying to follow in his footsteps. He was so proud to coach her team. He and his wife got engaged when she was 18 and been together all this time. I know they had their issues through the years , but they seemed to  be in a good place and the family looked so happy. Now left to raise a newborn and the two other girls after losing her husband and daughter. Devastating.  Money can’t fix everything. 

BUT... It sure can help.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Breen was commentating today, told a story about taking a taxicab in the Philippines I believe. The cabby recognized him and asked ‘NBA? NBA?’...Breen says yes, he works for the NBA. Cabby asks him if he knows Kobe Bryant and he says yeah, he knows him. Breen said the guy just parked his cab and started sobbing because he was driving a guy in his cab who knew Kobe Bryant. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Anybody dumb or naive enough to think the world is not mourning is just plain stupid. He's as internationally iconic as Ali was. 

• Like (+1) 2