Trivia: What do Karl Wilson, Dwight Drane & Al Edwards have in common in Bills history???

Stallions

10 hours ago, Stallions said:

OK - - all 3 were replacements for 'star' Bills in play-off games and hurt the team effort allowing the opponents to win!

-Al Edwards replaced Don Beebe (broken leg) in our 1st Super Bowl visit and was a non-factor with only 26 CAREER receptions !

-Dwight Drane replaced Leonard Smith (illness which led to his retirement) in our 2nd Super Bowl and couldn't cover anyone let alone tackle Redskins!

-Karl Wilson joined the Bills in 1995 and had played on 7 other NFL teams previously.  He had to replace Bruce Smith (illness) in our 1995 play-off loss to the Steelers and did zip!!

The Al Edwards line is misleading. Beebe was far from a star in 1990, starting only 4 games and was 6th on the team in receiving yards. Also he broke his leg in the last regular season game and did not play at all during the playoffs, which did not slow the team down in the conference playoffs. 

It would have been nice to have the Smith brothers in the other two playoff games mentioned (yes I know they're not really brothers.)

• Like (+1) 1

I remember Al Edwards for one play and one play only.  After the Giants had taken the lead back late in Super Bowl XXV, Edwards dropped a third-down pass which resulted in a punt and ultimately Norwood's miss.  If he had caught it, who knows?  Yes, it would have been nice to have Beebe for that game but you know who was sitting on the Bills' bench?  Steve Tasker.  I am 100% convinced that Tasker would have been Welker or Edelman before Welker and Edelman if we had used him in that role.  He sure as hell would have been better than Edwards.

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Some day STs will have specific members that aren’t bad at their supposed real positions, as made up now STs are primarily 2nd and 3rd tier players at other positions, and frankly not particularly good at STs, but teams have learned to live with mediocre STs since day one of football.  It is what it is, the weak link in every team.

So your starters don't get hurt in some of the most violent plays in football.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

So your starters don't get hurt in some of the most violent plays in football.

Points of degree, we all see an awful lot of brutal hits against starters on your average pass play routes every game, no worse than a kick off or punt, or for instance the Pats hit on Josh as an example. Caveat emptor do to speak. 

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I remember Al Edwards for one play and one play only.  After the Giants had taken the lead back late in Super Bowl XXV, Edwards dropped a third-down pass which resulted in a punt and ultimately Norwood's miss.  If he had caught it, who knows?  Yes, it would have been nice to have Beebe for that game but you know who was sitting on the Bills' bench?  Steve Tasker.  I am 100% convinced that Tasker would have been Welker or Edelman before Welker and Edelman if we had used him in that role.  He sure as hell would have been better than Edwards.

I think that was a Levy thing. Too conservative and set in his ways.  Remember he didn't play Henry Jones much at all in his 1st season because of his hold-out. 

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Tasker really had wasted talent as a receiver.  The analogy to Welker and Edelman is a good one.