Cody Ford fined over 28k for illegal blind side block

YoloinOhio

Been saying it over and over: the league WANTS the perception of ‘bad officials.’ They WANT fans to think that. This perception allows them to keep steering games quite effectively under the guise of blown calls. These frickin guys are middle school principals and gym teachers at their ‘day’ jobs. You cannot have a working brain and believe the NFL isn’t 100% happy w the ref situation. 

And they know we’ll never stop following ours and stop watching. 

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Plant, crouch, square up shoulder/forearm and push through the guy 

it’s the rule, and the violation pairs with a fine pretty standard 

My point is that you rarely see this called in close games, particularly in overtime of the playoffs. You can make this call 10-15 times a game. I literally found 5 just perusing through the plays. The following is during Houston's go ahead TD drive in the 4th Qtr. Take a look around the 15 second mark of this clip when Houston's fullback lights up Milano on the exact same kind of play (and, just for good measure, watch the Houston WR (87) at the bottom of the screen after the hit on Milano - and the OL (66) holding at the top of the screen during the run - but I digress).

As I said, I can easily pull 5 of these clips right now. Again, my point is they are rarely called in these kinds of games.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It was a penalty. But I agree a fine is unwarranted.  We see a lot worse go unfined. NFL sending a message that the officials got the call correct.

See above post

Edited by billsfan1959

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

if that’s the case, then I’m actually okay with this. If all blindside blocks or all of a certain fouls has an automatic fine, then it’s objective and negotiated for. 

if there is discretion in when to award the fine and how much, then Ford really got screwed. This was no “Hines ward block.”

we saw the comments a lot when they started protecting receivers. 

it was pretty well laid out and the oddball amounts (28,075) were from the annual escalator in the system.

i haven’t kept up close the last few years but to my understanding it’s Pretty standard structure for roughness penalties that fit in the nature of normal play and not gronk elbow drops 

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Oh my F*#K... the Jet who sent Haush$ into a year long funk got zilch, and Ford got a FAKE blindside block penalty AND fine?

Tell me the NFL isn't biased against the Bills... TELL ME... absolute steaming horse dung... 

He and a couple others in this thread expose their true colors with TERRIBLE takes on the topic.

48 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

So if we are to believe that the refs made the right call, they miss several of these calls every game when an O lineman blocks a rusher that gets by them and tries to circle back to the QB. If they are blocking parallel to the line of scrimmage it is a blindside block. This penalty happens 20 times a game. 

Not if the block with their hands. Again read the rule. 

57 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If it’s the rule ok, but the fine seems ridiculous.

Duke Johnson got away with two of these during the game btw, both times on Edmunds, where he lunged backwards throwing a shoulder in. Including 1 on a TD run. 

I don’t blame this for the Loss, but the fine is ridiculous to me. 

Fine is ridiculous.  Agree. 

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Watch this short video from NFL football operations.  There is no way Ford's block was anything close to the examples provided.  The rule is more than just the blocker's path are toward or parallel to his end zone.

Based off this video, Duke Johnson 100% should have been flagged for the same hit on Edmunds during the 2pt conversion run by Watson. 

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1213846088999936007

NFL is a joke. 

Ohh yeah, this isn't a penalty or fine either.  Still can't believe Knox missed that block. I'm surprised Allen was not knocked out on that play or even entered concussion protocol.

I'm so at a loss for this league and the corruption going on. Let's see what team/s get screwed today. 

Edited by Real McNasty
Allen helmet hit

1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

So if we are to believe that the refs made the right call, they miss several of these calls every game when an O lineman blocks a rusher that gets by them and tries to circle back to the QB. If they are blocking parallel to the line of scrimmage it is a blindside block. This penalty happens 20 times a game. 

It depends on where they are.  I cant comment on plays I haven't seen (im sure they exist) but the rule does not apply between the tackles within 3 yards of the LoS as long as the ball hasn't left the area.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What direction is Ford blocking in the video? 
Please find the part of the rule where it says it is ok to block toward your endzone if the guy sees it? 

The rule says he has to initiate contact and it has to be forcible contact. Neither of those was true on this block, so the direction does not matter.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Have to keep up the illusion.  Meanwhile will any of the helmet-to-helmet hit to, or Watt landing on top of, Josh be fined?  Doubtful.

Exactly right Doc. 

They issued an unnecessary fine to deflect any criticism. 
Especially with more questionable calls coming up this weekend 

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

See here is an example. The rule has nothing to do with the defender seeing him. It about which direction the blocking player is facing. You can’t block towards your own endzone.

Mike Perreira and Dean Blandino both said they he was not facing back to the goal line but rather angled toward sideline. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mike Perreira and Dean Blandino both said they he was not facing back to the goal line but rather angled toward sideline. 

The rule actually says anywhere between facing the goal line and parallel to the goal line. So it meets that criteria. The problem is that it doesn't meet any of the other criteria stated in the rule.

It's absurd that even when the highest NFL authorities on the rules get something right, they manage to stumble onto it for the wrong reasons.

Edited by MPT