What are some things that flew under the radar this season (good or bad)?

warrior9

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Why is anyone concerned about the cap for next season? We have no reason to release a player unless someone better is found.

Exactly. We bring 90 into preseason you don’t cut people until others win the job over them. Unless you’re strapped for cap which we clearly are not 

Edited by Rc2catch

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Not dropping a punt or kickoff and finishing top 10 in returns. @D. L. Hot-Flamethrower you are correct sir crazy levels of negativity out there.

Not being overly negative, I am trying to improve the WR corps.  Maybe Duke would have been in the lineup and caught that skinny post that Brown didn't against the Ravens.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Why is anyone concerned about the cap for next season? We have no reason to release a player unless someone better is found.

That is true, I am sure we could afford him.  That just locks you into only 5 other WR spots.  Brown, Beasley, Duke should stay.  McKenzie is cheap and versatile, so he should stay.  that leaves you with only one spot (Foster's) to find a new WR.  I'd prefer to have 2 new WRs on the active roster (draft & 2nd tier FA).

Would McD ever consider 7 WRs on the active roster?

35 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

That is true, I am sure we could afford him.  That just locks you into only 5 other WR spots.  Brown, Beasley, Duke should stay.  McKenzie is cheap and versatile, so he should stay.  that leaves you with only one spot (Foster's) to find a new WR.  I'd prefer to have 2 new WRs on the active roster (draft & 2nd tier FA).

Would McD ever consider 7 WRs on the active roster?

Brown and Beasley only WR guaranteed a spot.

This rookie draft class played well and contributed heavily.  Looking forward to seeing Oliver and Ford with a full off-season under their belts.  Also, Singletary getting more touches.

I was concerned about the oline coming into the season.  So many new faces and Morse missed most of preseason.  Still some work to be done, RT, but they are headed in right direction.

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

This rookie draft class played well and contributed heavily.  Looking forward to seeing Oliver and Ford with a full off-season under their belts.  Also, Singletary getting more touches.

I was concerned about the oline coming into the season.  So many new faces and Morse missed most of preseason.  Still some work to be done, RT, but they are headed in right direction.

Nice to need 1 and not 4, right? Re: OL

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Now that the season is over, I wanted to reflect on some things that I think flew under the radar both positive and negative. I'm curious everyone's thoughts. I'll start with a few:

1.) I can't say for certain if it's our analytics/ sports science department but our injury report this year (aside from the current Hughes news) was absolutely incredible. I think it was week 15 and we didn't have a single person on our injury report. The health of this team this year was amazing and I think it gave us a leg up. It seems as though since McDermott has been here, this has been common place. I think it's time we start giving kudos to him for being somewhat advanced in this category. I'm unsure how this has flown under national radar. 

2.) It seemed as though we thought our depth has gotten better but it's definitely still a weak point of this team in several spots. Our depth at LB, WR, DE, RB, and TE is pretty shallow. We have decent depth at CB/S (I think Marlowe actually played well and Kurt Coleman is fine), OL, and DT. This is something that will get better as our younger guys develop but it seems as though we need depth horribly at DE and LB. 

There are a few more I have on my mind but I wanted to see where the board may take this.

I think the depth showed up during the Jets game when we were playing the backups.  Backup D did OK including Corey Liuget and Vincent Taylor at DL, Darryl Johnson at DE, and Julian Stanford and Corey Thompson at LB.

Backup O, especially backup OL, kind of bit.  Long at C, Bates at T, and Boettger at G seemed like a significant drop off.  Foster and McKenzie did not look good running Brown and Beasley's routes.  Williams and Sweeney of course did well.

I think the players appreciate the sports science department and the training staff, but I also think part of the "no injury report" has to do with McDermott doing his best to be close-mouthed about it and keep things under wraps.

5 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yes and at 10-6, with 2 playoff appearances in 3 years and a fun, developing young QB etc. You'd think we were back in the mid 80s with back to back 2-14 years. Will people learn to enjoy that it isn't just the final outcome and a rush to get there. Enjoy the process, and most of all you don't know everything and it's Ok to admit being wrong.

I like how all the people who were young in the 1980's equate that stretch to the low point of being a Bills fan.   

It was 3 years stop being such pathetic whiners about it.:doh:

They won 3 division titles in the 1980's....one in 1980 and then 88'/89'...........they haven't won one in the last 25 years!

The old timers with their "there are starvin' football fans in Africa" nonsense on this board toward anyone who is unsatisfied with the production of this organization is laughable.:lol:

6 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Now that the season is over, I wanted to reflect on some things that I think flew under the radar both positive and negative. I'm curious everyone's thoughts. I'll start with a few:

1.) I can't say for certain if it's our analytics/ sports science department but our injury report this year (aside from the current Hughes news) was absolutely incredible. I think it was week 15 and we didn't have a single person on our injury report. The health of this team this year was amazing and I think it gave us a leg up. It seems as though since McDermott has been here, this has been common place. I think it's time we start giving kudos to him for being somewhat advanced in this category. I'm unsure how this has flown under national radar. 

I thought that I read somewhere one of the players mentioning that the admin's approach to injuries was more preventative/proactive and that person at least attributed that approach to their overall lack of injuries.  I practice acupuncture and in one of the earliest classics it says that treating an illness after it has arisen is like digging a well when you are thirsty (obviously not so good for PR).  IMO the approach of treating something proactively/before it becomes a diagnosable problem makes a lot of sense although obviously in some situations like trauma to a joint, etc. this is not an option.

Underrated bad? Bills, with all their culture and “process,” were still in the top 1/3rd of the league in penalties in 2019 (9th). Not sure at this point if that’s a result of a lack of talent or lack of discipline (or both.) 40%(!) of their penalties were of the pre-snap variety - in other words, totally avoidable.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?year=2019&view=reg_season

My biggest take away was how different our red zone ability was from the first half of the season to the 2nd half of the season. Once teams saw our jet sweeps and Josh runs and clamped then down they realized we didn’t really run well inside the 10. Coming into the year I figured that was where Gore would help the most. He didn’t. It is why we need a bartering ram back in the draft.