What are some things that flew under the radar this season (good or bad)?

warrior9

Allen's numbers (and Bills offensive production) would have been much better had we not dropped so many passes this year (not to mention missed YAC). Granted, he does throw some wild ones and fastballs at times, but seemed like more drops this year than I can remember. Had to be over 25 drops. Anyone have the actual #?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question, just looked it up here (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=232&type=Receiving)

Bills had the second worst # of drops in the league (26), only behind Dolphins (28).

Edited by BuffaloBillies
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

In hindsight was trading Zay Jones (7 TDs with Josh last year) the right move?   3 catches for Foster all season and hardly put Duke on the field. 

Could Zay have helped down the stretch?      

Absolutely not. I would be surprised if he isn't out of the league once his contract expires. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

In hindsight was trading Zay Jones (7 TDs with Josh last year) the right move?   3 catches for Foster all season and hardly put Duke on the field. 

Zay was supposed to be the physical #1 wr that can be the go to guy. Can't fault the Bills for Zay's mental breakdowns. 

He didn't do much to support the Raiders, so not much evidence that he would have contributed more here... Wish they would have taken JuJu.

Edited by Motorin'

9 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

I questioned it some when we traded him given our depth only. But he was trash in Oakland too and was lining up as their number 2 a lot and even got slot time. He couldn’t make any difference there 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Sean McDermott became the second most aggressive 4th down play caller in the NFL. Not sure if that's due to lack of faith in Hauschka, added faith in the o-line/Josh, or input from the new analytics hire.

Whatever it was, McDermott's evolution in this regard is very encouraging.

Well Hauschka being 1/5 from 50 plus probably aided greatly in that evolution 

1 hour ago, ScotSHO said:

While Andre Roberts did not drop a punt or kickoff, he is a non factor anymore.  No breakaway speed.  Cap cut for me, 100%.

I believe he ended up being the 3rd best returner in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Best under the radar for me was Lawson. He’s been talked about a lot cause of the 5th year option declined and his free agent status. His stats don’t jump off the page and I think it’s overlooked what he actually accomplished this year. All the Yannick talk i dug deeper into stuff and was looking over snap counts. Shaq had like 480 snaps played. His QB hits and TFL were very impressive. Had he played over 700 snaps like Murphy did his numbers would be approaching elite levels. The trick though was he wouldn’t have the same numbers in Murphy’s spot. I think Lawson has developed a helluva game coming in for Hughes matching up against left tackles. I could not find what % of snaps he played at each end spot. 

I started browsing Chandler Jones who was amazing this year 

1069 snaps 
19 sacks 

53 tackles 

11 TFL

26 QB hits 

then Khalil Mack who was a little down this year 

925 snaps 

8.5 sacks 

47 tackles 

8 TFL

14 QB hits 

the new kid on the block nick bosa

783 snaps 

9 sacks

47 tackles 

16 TFL 

25 QB hits 

Lawson 

483 snaps 

6.5 sacks

32 tackles 

13 TFL 

18 QB hits 

His numbers really jump when you consider how little he played compared to others. There’s of course other factors and I’m not calling him elite but his stats this year in a limited role were really impressive. 

I don’t want to get into the sign him or let him walk or any of that stuff it’s on tons of other threads. I just wanted to give a little insight since I had done a little homework about Yannick and people saying what an upgrade he is and this qualified as under the radar to me 

that was eye popping I like Lawson and this makes me like him even more.  Did not realize how few snaps he had.  he sure made the most of them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

that was eye popping I like Lawson and this makes me like him even more.  Did not realize how few snaps he had.  he sure made the most of them.

Yeah I think Murphy was over 675 or something similar, even more than Hughes. Murphy has the highest snap count on the defensive line which I was actually very surprised about. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

No.

The man had something like 150 yards in 7 games starts.

Great call by Bills management to get rid of him, (actually trade for him) esp with his fathers  negative tweets re the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

While Andre Roberts did not drop a punt or kickoff, he is a non factor anymore.  No breakaway speed.  Cap cut for me, 100%.

Why is anyone concerned about the cap for next season? We have no reason to release a player unless someone better is found.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

2.) It seemed as though we thought our depth has gotten better but it's definitely still a weak point of this team in several spots. Our depth at LB, WR, DE, RB, and TE is pretty shallow. We have decent depth at CB/S (I think Marlowe actually played well and Kurt Coleman is fine), OL, and DT. This is something that will get better as our younger guys develop but it seems as though we need depth horribly at DE and LB. 

Wasn't there some guy complaining here last month we had no depth at CB?

Also, we seem pretty deep at TE with Knox, Sweeney, Kroft, and Smith.

1 minute ago, egd said:

Wasn't there some guy complaining here last month we had no depth at CB?

Also, we seem pretty deep at TE with Knox, Sweeney, Kroft, and Smith.

Define "deep", yes we have a lot of very mediocre TEs.  Maybe Knox can improve on blocking and learn to catch the ball, Smith & Kroft were major disappointment to me.  Sweeney is ok but very limited upside athletically.

I will be shocked if both Kroft and Smith return, one of them is a goner.

• Like (+1) 2

Great Topic, OP. 

Bojo was a pleasant surprise to me. I’m not even joking here, but despite being in the bottom 5 for net average, the guy actually was okay in hitting punts inside of the 20, and more importantly, only had 1 negative play (block against NE).

i was terrified with him as the holder and punter, and he ended up being passably competent. 

• Like (+1) 3

Interestingly, given last season's adventures with either Hyde (who caught well, but always fair-caught to avoid injury, which I 100% support since it's Hyde but would rather not have to settle with in this scenario) or McKenzie (who had the dropsies) I found Roberts' sure hands and ability to get some, if not a lot, yards on just about every return, a positive under-the-radar part of the season. I was never once nervous on those plays, contrasted with 2018 when it was a nightmare every time we forced a punt.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

He was top ten in avg punt return distance. 

Is he worth a WR spot when we've proven we can't field good ones beyond Brown, Beasely and potentially Dukie?  I would have rather taken a flier on a new WR every week and had Hyde fair catch punts.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills led the league in average drive start at the 27.5 yard line. Roberts was top three in kick return yardage.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep if they cut him, but to say he is a "non factor" is inaccurate.

I'm not sure that 2.5 extra yards was worth his WR roster spot, that's all I'm saying.

• Like (+1) 1