What are some things that flew under the radar this season (good or bad)?

warrior9

Now that the season is over, I wanted to reflect on some things that I think flew under the radar both positive and negative. I'm curious everyone's thoughts. I'll start with a few:

1.) I can't say for certain if it's our analytics/ sports science department but our injury report this year (aside from the current Hughes news) was absolutely incredible. I think it was week 15 and we didn't have a single person on our injury report. The health of this team this year was amazing and I think it gave us a leg up. It seems as though since McDermott has been here, this has been common place. I think it's time we start giving kudos to him for being somewhat advanced in this category. I'm unsure how this has flown under national radar. 

2.) It seemed as though we thought our depth has gotten better but it's definitely still a weak point of this team in several spots. Our depth at LB, WR, DE, RB, and TE is pretty shallow. We have decent depth at CB/S (I think Marlowe actually played well and Kurt Coleman is fine), OL, and DT. This is something that will get better as our younger guys develop but it seems as though we need depth horribly at DE and LB. 

There are a few more I have on my mind but I wanted to see where the board may take this.

Sean McDermott became the second most aggressive 4th down play caller in the NFL. Not sure if that's due to lack of faith in Hauschka, added faith in the o-line/Josh, or input from the new analytics hire.

Whatever it was, McDermott's evolution in this regard is very encouraging.

• Like (+1) 9

On the injury front we definitely had a great year.  I don't really know whether / what we're doing that is different from others.  Is this just a matter of luck or something else?  Regarding sprains, pulls and recovery I know that the Bills have spent a lot on top-notch medical care for players.  I have not idea how that compares to the rest of the league.  Regarding breaks, ACLs and a myriad of other injuries may be just dumb luck.  Someone rolling up on an ankle or knee is just unfortunate bad break.

3 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

While Andre Roberts did not drop a punt or kickoff, he is a non factor anymore.  No breakaway speed.  Cap cut for me, 100%.

Bills led the league in average drive start at the 27.5 yard line. Roberts was top three in kick return yardage.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep if they cut him, but to say he is a "non factor" is inaccurate.

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bills led the league in average drive start at the 27.5 yard line. Roberts was top three in kick return yardage.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep if they cut him, but to say he is a "non factor" is inaccurate.

He has solid hands, and was reliable without any big plays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

While Andre Roberts did not drop a punt or kickoff, he is a non factor anymore.  No breakaway speed.  Cap cut for me, 100%.

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

The negativism of some Bills fans know no bounds

Not dropping a punt or kickoff and finishing top 10 in returns. @D. L. Hot-Flamethrower you are correct sir crazy levels of negativity out there.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think Spain got any props at all during the season.  And I believe he didn't give up a sack.  The Bills ran to the left more effectively than to the right.  Sounds to me like Spain did well, also since we never heard his name called.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Utah John said:

I don't think Spain got any props at all during the season.  And I believe he didn't give up a sack.  The Bills ran to the left more effectively than to the right.  Sounds to me like Spain did well, also since we never heard his name called.

I am a BIG Spain supporter/fan. I want him back. I want Dawkins, Spain, Morse on that left side of the line next year for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Utah John said:

And he should also get some credit for Dawkins returning to form. Spain did well. 

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Not dropping a punt or kickoff and finishing top 10 in returns. @D. L. Hot-Flamethrower you are correct sir crazy levels of negativity out there.

Yes and at 10-6, with 2 playoff appearances in 3 years and a fun, developing young QB etc. You'd think we were back in the mid 80s with back to back 2-14 years. Will people learn to enjoy that it isn't just the final outcome and a rush to get there. Enjoy the process, and most of all you don't know everything and it's Ok to admit being wrong.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sean McDermott became the second most aggressive 4th down play caller in the NFL. Not sure if that's due to lack of faith in Hauschka, added faith in the o-line/Josh, or input from the new analytics hire.

Whatever it was, McDermott's evolution in this regard is very encouraging.

4th and 27: pass.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

....uh oh.....STILL 3rd in the NFL for 2019...........

Kick & Punt Returns

• * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
  Games Punt Returns Kick Returns  
Rk Player Tm Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd
1 Deonte Harris*+ NOR 22 wr 14 1 36 338 1 53 9.4 24 644 0 51 26.8 1037
2 Richie James SFO 24 wr 16 1 33 264 0 32 8.0 20 428 0 81 21.4 849
3 Andre Roberts BUF 31   13 0 28 223 0 22 8.0 25 664 0 66 26.6 914
4 Kenjon Barner ATL 29   14 0 35 267 1 78 7.6 17 406 0 47 23.9 723
5 Trevor Davis 3TM 26   14 4 22 145 0 32 6.6 23 506 0 52 22.0 83

Best under the radar for me was Lawson. He’s been talked about a lot cause of the 5th year option declined and his free agent status. His stats don’t jump off the page and I think it’s overlooked what he actually accomplished this year. All the Yannick talk i dug deeper into stuff and was looking over snap counts. Shaq had like 480 snaps played. His QB hits and TFL were very impressive. Had he played over 700 snaps like Murphy did his numbers would be approaching elite levels. The trick though was he wouldn’t have the same numbers in Murphy’s spot. I think Lawson has developed a helluva game coming in for Hughes matching up against left tackles. I could not find what % of snaps he played at each end spot. 

I started browsing Chandler Jones who was amazing this year 

1069 snaps 
19 sacks 

53 tackles 

11 TFL

26 QB hits 

then Khalil Mack who was a little down this year 

925 snaps 

8.5 sacks 

47 tackles 

8 TFL

14 QB hits 

the new kid on the block nick bosa

783 snaps 

9 sacks

47 tackles 

16 TFL 

25 QB hits 

Lawson 

483 snaps 

6.5 sacks

32 tackles 

13 TFL 

18 QB hits 

His numbers really jump when you consider how little he played compared to others. There’s of course other factors and I’m not calling him elite but his stats this year in a limited role were really impressive. 

I don’t want to get into the sign him or let him walk or any of that stuff it’s on tons of other threads. I just wanted to give a little insight since I had done a little homework about Yannick and people saying what an upgrade he is and this qualified as under the radar to me 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2