In honor of a Buffalo/Houston playoff game

1 hour ago, Jukester said:

Well the Oilers are now the Titans not the Texans.....but still a good memory.

I think the point is, Houston Oilers/Houston Texans. But cool on you for being smart. 

Amazing how loud those crowds were!!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Its says unavailable. 

Click the Youtube link, and you can see it on Youtube.

The message is Youtube blocking content from being streamed by other sites.

This game is forgotten. In 1988 the Bills were also a Defense first team, with a rookie RB, and a young strong armed QB who was figuring it out in the NFL.

It was after this game against the Houston Run and Shoot, and the loss to Cincinnati who befuddled a very good Bills Defense with the no huddle, that Buffalo turned to the No Huddle offense, and a run was started.

• Like (+1) 1

A couple observations right off the bat after watching the first few series:

- Jimbo was no future HOFer in this game.  I think a lot of people here, myself included, romanticize his career and think the guy walks on water.  While he's the best quarterback we've ever had, we see the very best performances today from the likes of Rodgers, Brees, Brady, etc and think Kelly did this every single time he walked onto the field... and wonder why QBs like Allen can't replicate this success.  We watch games like The Comeback this time of year and think every quarterback should be able to do what Reich did that day.  Watching stuff like this puts some of Allen's early-in-career performances into their proper perspective.

- Norwood's leg strength was clearly a liability.  I've watched a number of these games from the late 80s-early 90s on Youtube and he struggled to hit 50 yards.  Polian should have been looking at options here - while I don't blame him for the loss in XXV, he didn't help us win either and getting a better PK could have made the difference.  Hauschka's recent struggles make me think about this more.

- The NFL was so much less corporate.  It's the little things - the signs along the sidelines ('DRILL THE OILERS', Skid Row, etc) don't exist today.  The press box is tiny by modern standards.  Pete Metzelaars' name plate on the back of his jersey was horribly off center.  They didn't care about that stuff back then - now you'd get fined for wearing the wrong colored shoe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

It’s amazing how much the telecast and network graphics  have changed since then. You almost expect it to be in black and white lol. 

yeah.  Hard to believe the broadcasts didn’t have the score on-screen constantly until the mid-90s or so. 

The only playoff game I ever attended.  Great to watch it from the TV perspective.  It was electric there that day. The other thing I now remember is I'm pretty sure Jamie Mueller had more carries than Thurman that day. Why I could never figure out.

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

yeah.  Hard to believe the broadcasts didn’t have the score on-screen constantly until the mid-90s or so. 

Yea the NFL on NBC which did the AFC games didn’t have score on the screen. CBS took over the AFC games in 98 and I was glad to finally be able to see the score. I did however miss that iconic NFL on NBC theme song.