Two Bills Drive | Buffalo Bills Forums | SabreSpace | Buffalo Sabres Forums

Buffalo Bills News - September 18, 2000

Marker Bills special teams are far less than ordinary [9:10 AM]
Buffalo News reports: 'Before the Bills went to training camp, coach Wade Phillips said he intended "to become involved in the special teams." Wade wouldn't want to have his fingerprints discovered on this game.'

Marker Injuries make a bad day worse [9:09 AM]
Buffalo News reports: 'A bad day for the Buffalo Bills was made even worse as tight end Jay Riemersma and linebackers Corey Moore and John Holecek left Giants Stadium with potentially serious injuries.'

Marker Monday billboard [9:08 AM]
Buffalo News reports: 'Big Picture: The Bills are out of first place in the AFC East, out of the undefeated ranks and, for 13 days, out of chances to redeem themselves for a shoddy performance in the Jersey Meadowlands.'

Marker Coleman's leaping TD catch sparks 3-0 Jets [9:07 AM]
Asbury Park Press/Home News Tribune reports: 'It was as if the Jets' determined grab for their first 3-0 start in 34 years took on human form. There was cornerback Marcus Coleman, streaking out of the slot on the last play of the first half and out-leaping five Buffalo Bills defensive players to pull down Vinny Testaverde's 45-yard heave. It was a Keyshawn Johnson-type catch made by a fifth-year cornerback who now counts as many touchdown catches this season as the team's former receiving star. Though the Jets would get two John Hall field goals in the second half, it was Coleman's game-turning touchdown that lifted the Jets to their feel-good, 27-14 victory yesterday.'

Marker A return Williams will never forget [9:06 AM]
Asbury Park Press/Home News Tribune reports: 'Last year, Kevin Williams was lying in a hospital bed. He wasn't wondering if he was going to play football again. He was worried that he was going to die.'

Marker Smoke and mirrors, but still unbeaten [9:05 AM]
Asbury Park Press/Home News Tribune reports: 'The last time the Jets were 3-0, Star Trek was a hot new show on television and William Shatner was a slim young star with a full head of hair.'

Marker 'Disastrous' Bills fail their road test [7:22 AM]
D and C reports: '"Well, obviously it was a disastrous game for us," coach Wade Phillips understated. "I don't think I've been in a game where we've made quite that many mistakes." Good thing, because Phillips' insides would be devoured by ulcers.'

Marker Bills defense gives up another improbable play [7:21 AM]
D and C reports: 'Despite having seven men in the secondary, including three surrounding Coleman in the end zone, the Bills somehow allowed Coleman to catch the ball which provided the Jets a 21-14 lead at the intermission.'

Marker Riemersma injury may be serious [7:21 AM]
D and C reports: 'Riemersma, who was off to a hot start, suffered what could be a long-term injury to his left knee early in yesterday's 27-14 loss to the New York Jets. He will have an MRI today and his status will be updated.'

Marker Special teams are one big joke [7:20 AM]
D and C reports: 'Buffalo Bills special teams coach Ronnie Jones says he doesn't read the newspapers or listen to the call-in shows. Smart man, that Mr. Jones. Because today's nationwide analysis of his work during his brief time in Western New York would leave him wishing he got into a safer, less visible line of work. Like mortician. Wait. He's already working with a bunch of stiffs. After yesterday's 27-14 loss to the New York Jets, though, I've got a real good hunch Bruce DeHaven will be reading and listening. And gloating. It's only right.'

Marker Bills-Jets game notes [7:19 AM]
D and C reports: 'No shows...Bills special teams: Horrendous. Pathetic. Pitiful. Pick a word and it fits for this group. There isn't enough space in this newspaper to chronicle the foul-ups the Bills had in the kicking game, so if you didn't see the game, take our word for it. Bad coverage, turnovers, penalties, a blocked field goal, forgetting to go on the field, it all happened. And amazingly, this came against the Jets, a team that also has been terrible on special teams this season.'

Marker Jets' Big Play Sets Up a Big Game [7:18 AM]
New York Times reports: '"It was a better 7-point lead," Coach Al Groh said. "The math reads the same but it was better for our heart."'

Marker Winning Together by Pulling Together [7:17 AM]
New York Times reports: 'An ever-growing confident tribe that spun Buffalo for a loop, 27-14, yesterday at Giants Stadium. A tribe riddled with questions that so far has produced answers. With a 3-0 record, the Jets thus far are fulfilling a role rarely seen in sports. Off-season turmoil and chaos plus a new head coach nearly always mean slow, sluggish and meandering starts. The Jets, instead, have hit the ground in a peppy and productive stride. They have won three games in a style and manner that indicates the depth of their mentality, their fortitude. Apparently, a true tribe.'

Marker Two Footballs for Kevin Williams [7:16 AM]
New York Times reports: 'Is this the touchdown ball or the game ball?" Kensil asked. "That's the touchdown ball," Williams said. "I've got the game ball here in my bag." "Give me that one, too," Kensil said.'

Marker Jets' Ascent Reaches 3-0 [7:15 AM]
New York Daily News reports: '"That's ridiculous," said Bills coach Wade Phillips, who watched the 6-2 Coleman outjump three defenders in the back of the end zone. "We should've had everybody back on the goal line. They should be waiting for the ball instead of jumping for the ball. We just relaxed and it cost us."'

Marker Al's Confidence Continues to Groh [7:14 AM]
New York Daily News reports: '"It wasn't about me," Groh would say when it was over and the Jets had won 27-14, shutting out the Bills in the second half. "I didn't do anything." Sure he did. He coached his team the way he has coached it from the start, as if he has been coaching it for a long time.'

Marker Coleman Gets Good Jump on 'Hail Mary' TD [7:13 AM]
New York Daily News reports: 'Coleman outleaped three Buffalo defenders to haul in a 45-yard floater from Vinny Testaverde on the last play of the first half yesterday, playing the same role Johnson once did in Hail Mary situations. The only difference was, it worked. "I think over in my career, I've only completed one Hail Mary pass and that was on the 2-yard line," Testaverde said. "This was the first time I completed one for a touchdown."'

Marker Jets not lost without Key [7:12 AM]
New York Daily News reports: 'If anything, the Jets have proven, in the short term at least, they can win without Johnson. The long term is a story yet to be written. But the Jets can at least play against Johnson with a little swagger knowing they have not crumbled without him and have started 3-0 for the first time since 1966.'

Marker Back to feeling special [7:12 AM]
New York Daily News reports: 'There are two ways to look at the Jets' special teams performance in yesterday's 27-14 victory over the Bills. Either they really took a step up after two disappointing weeks or they finally met a special teams unit that's worse.'

Marker Key: Call Me Magic Johnson [7:11 AM]
New York Daily News reports: 'On the surface, the Jets seem to have overcome the loss of Keyshawn Johnson. But at least one person begs to differ. That person is named Keyshawn Johnson.'

Marker Jets' report card [7:10 AM]
New York Daily News reports: 'Special Teams: A+...A day of redemption. The stars were Kevin Williams (97-yard kickoff TD) and Chris Hayes (forced fumble, recovery).'

Marker Gang green blitzes Bills [7:09 AM]
New York Post reports: '"Our confidence is pretty high," Jets' cornerback Ray Mickens said. "I'd be lying if I said it was anything else. We've shown we can win on the road, at Lambeau, we've shown we're a tough team."'

Marker Well, isn't that special? [7:08 AM]
New York Post reports: 'The Bills, playing all day like a kid sticking its hand in the fire, got burned, 27-14, in a contest decided largely by the kicking game.'

Marker Hail Mary rips the heart out of the Bills [7:07 AM]
New York Post reports: 'All touchdowns are worth six points on the scoreboard, but in the heart, clearly some are worth more than others. Marcus Coleman's Hail Mary on the final play of the first half yesterday lifted the Jets' spirits and ripped out the Bills' guts in a 27-14 Gang Green win at Giants Stadium. Coleman's 45-yard TD with no time on the clock sent the Jets into halftime with a 21-14 lead, and gave them all the momentum.'

Marker Bills: we gave it away [7:06 AM]
New York Post reports: '"That's what's most frustrating; it's between the ears. If you get your butt whipped, [that's one thing]. But when you don't play well, that's the toughest thing," said defensive end Marcellus Wiley from Columbia, who saw his team allow a 97-yard kickoff return to Kevin Williams, get a field goal blocked, lose their first three fumbles of the season, and give up a 45-yard Hail Mary to defensive back Marcus Coleman on the final play of the first half.'

Marker 'Hail, Marcus' just warmup for Keyshawn' [7:05 AM]
New York Post reports: 'There aren't supposed to be 78,000 fans wildly cheering the Jets, but there are. New York isn't supposed to be going ga-ga over Gang Green, but it is.'

Marker Hayes' hustle a huge factor [7:04 AM]
New York Post reports: 'One of the unsung Jets heroes yesterday was special teams ace Chris Hayes, who had a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a special-teams tackle. He was a catalyst for a special teams unit that entered the game much maligned.'

Marker Ready for Some Hype? [7:03 AM]
New York Newsday reports: 'The Jets not only beat the Buffalo Bills yesterday, 27-14, they stunned and demoralized a team that had been tied with them for first place. They ran over and around them, with Kevin Williams' thrilling 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. They duped them, leaving five of their players lying silent and in a heap in the end zone after Marcus Coleman's 45-yard Hail Mary touchdown pass from Testaverde broke a 14-14 tie.'

Marker Marcus' Big Play Hails NFL's Past [7:02 AM]
New York Newsday reports: 'You know, he who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it.'

Marker Extra Special Victory [7:01 AM]
New York Newsday reports: 'Yesterday, in an impressive 27-14 victory over Buffalo, the Jets' special teams were masters of mayhem. "Special teams aren't about individuals," Hayes said. "It's a team. It's about hustle plays."'

Page 1897 of 2024 pages « First  <  1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 >  Last »

09/07 @ Chicago Bears 1:00 pm
09/14 Miami Dolphins 1:00 pm
09/21 San Diego Chargers 1:00 pm
09/28 @ Houston Texans 1:00 pm
10/05 @ Detroit Lions 1:00 pm
10/12 New England Patriots 1:00 pm
10/19 Minnesota Vikings 1:00 pm
10/26 @ New York Jets 1:00 pm
11/09 Kansas City Chiefs 1:00 pm
11/13 @ Miami Dolphins 8:25 pm
11/23 New York Jets 1:00 pm